Desert rats

I was in the Royal corps of sigs. from 1952 to 73. Do you know which Division he served in and when.

I was with the signals with 25th armour at Binena(Air-port) from 52-55 the 14/21 ? Huzzars were also there about 53,visited Kufrah oasis twice(Isort of remember it was spelt with a Q back then).Also was D.R fm down town sigs on loan for 6mths

The desert rats were the 7th Armoured Division,I remember in my early years in the Army seeing them wearing the rat insignia on their shoulders. I also remember going back to York after a 72 hour pass and talking to some desert rats who were on their way to collect a demob. suit at Strensall Barracks.

Flyer, I was in Benghazi in 1963-4, I was O.C. 14/20th independent Signal troop. We were a recce regiment in a barracks outside town on the airport road. I talked to Qaddafi a couple of times,he was stationed at the British Military Mission in town,a Signals officer,he took over from a Col. who'd been shot just outside our barracks and his body was kept in the hospital morgue.

Flyer, I was in Benghazi in 1963-4, I was O.C. 14/20th independent Signal troop. We were a recce regiment in a barracks outside town on the airport road. I talked to Qaddafi a couple of times,he was stationed at the British Military Mission in town,a Signals officer,he took over from a Col. who'd been shot just outside our barracks and his body was kept in the hospital morgue.

Yes Florida I seem to remember a barracks half way between Benghazi and the air-port barracks, the Sinusi police was in there guarding King Idris and palace which was also on the air-port rd in 52,as D.R worked the entire area but places in Benghazi are begining to fade fm memory.I did try and take my bike to Kufrah, but never got past Jarlo,hit a tank track at night so goodbye bike.

Yes Florida I seem to remember a barracks half way between Benghazi and the air-port barracks, the Sinusi police was in there guarding King Idris and palace which was also on the air-port rd in 52,as D.R worked the entire area but places in Benghazi are begining to fade fm memory.I did try and take my bike to Kufrah, but never got past Jarlo,hit a tank track at night so goodbye bike.

I was orderly officer on one particular day and went home in Bengahzi to change. I lived opposite the School on the main Rd. I got out of the car and heard a commotion in the School playground,looked over and saw the Sinusi smashing rocks onto the kids heads as they ran out,one of the kids climbed the fence and was shot. Shortly after that Qaddafi called the coup and the despot Idris was gone.

I was in the Royal corps of sigs. from 1952 to 73. Do you know which Division he served in and when.

Found references to:

the 50th Infantry Division

the 50th (Northumbrian) Div

1st Holding Bn R Sigs

My father served during 2nd World War. Does this help?

Cheers

Hi. My dad was in the Signals too! Wonder if your dad would have known him. His name was Norman Oakley and his rank was Sergeant.

Sorry for being so tardy Jass. My father is 92 in October and has Alzheimers. He would not know which war he was in, although still very bright he does sometimes recall being in the army, especially being in the desert. He hardly remembers that I had a career in the Royal Navy. My father was/is Sergeant Frank Swann and was renowned for playing the piano, especially in Cairo.

The Desert Rats were men of the 7th Armoured Division who adopted the jerboa, a desert rat, as their divisional insignia when the division was reformed in December 1939. The design was chosen by the Div Cmdr General Creagh (?) During WWII the jerboa was also worn by the 4th and 7th Armored Brigades. Anyone attached to these units would have worn cloth badge on the upper arm - Sigs, REME, RASC, RAMC even RMP and Catering Corps. It is still worn today (I think) by 7th Armored Brigade and as tanks are suitable for desert war turns up in the Gulf Wars amid much hype from the media. Talking to a guy who wore the sign in both Gulf Wars he couldn't understand the fuss. Apparently squaddies of today aren't taught the histories of their Regiments. Desert Rats of WWII were not named for their living style. That was purely Hollywood and Pinewood.

The Desert Rats were men of the 7th Armoured Division who adopted the jerboa, a desert rat, as their divisional insignia when the division was reformed in December 1939. The design was chosen by the Div Cmdr General Creagh (?) During WWII the jerboa was also worn by the 4th and 7th Armored Brigades. Anyone attached to these units would have worn cloth badge on the upper arm - Sigs, REME, RASC, RAMC even RMP and Catering Corps. It is still worn today (I think) by 7th Armored Brigade and as tanks are suitable for desert war turns up in the Gulf Wars amid much hype from the media. Talking to a guy who wore the sign in both Gulf Wars he couldn't understand the fuss. Apparently squaddies of today aren't taught the histories of their Regiments. Desert Rats of WWII were not named for their living style. That was purely Hollywood and Pinewood.

And so my mistake in taking a British war movie as truth ,the movie"Tobruk" said the name Desert Rats was givern by Rommel to the defenders of Tobruk.British war movies noted for thier almost documenty style must have erred on this one,just cant trust anyone

I was orderly officer on one particular day and went home in Bengahzi to change. I lived opposite the School on the main Rd. I got out of the car and heard a commotion in the School playground,looked over and saw the Sinusi smashing rocks onto the kids heads as they ran out,one of the kids climbed the fence and was shot. Shortly after that Qaddafi called the coup and the despot Idris was gone.

I must say its with some supprise to read your Idris & Sinusi comments,When we first moved into the Air port barracks the Sinusi was in the other half,and we found them to be top class police,with them and Idris doing a very hard job in trying to find order from the chaos of the war.They had to be 100,000 living in Tin town on the outskirts of Bengahzi all driven fm the desert.The Italian civil service was finished & the only money coming into the country was fm British troops.I suppose things must have changed as time went on.

Archived