Tories to get rid of prison perks

I think the current system works ok, if you take away the telly and stuff that keeps people distracted they're only going to get into trouble - afterall they're not the nicest of people.

What the prison system needs is more spaces and a greater emphasis on general education.

Like maybe some prison sentences should come with the caveat that parole won't be considered until they've achieved 5C's at GCSE (or whatever they don't have)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22348653

Tories get tough on prisioners, after all it's been a while since we had a go at them, so let's throw the public another bone to keep them happy.

Could it be as a result of local elections this week? What a surprise.

Had a go at them? :roll:

Prisons have all manor of leisure facilities in them, stuff you or I could not afford or would have to join a paid club to gain access to.

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 11:06 ----------

I think the current system works ok

What is the current re-offending rate?

I'll just drop this link here:

Reoffending rates reach record level

2011: 44% of offenders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18188610

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22348653

Tories get tough on prisioners, after all it's been a while since we had a go at them, so let's throw the public another bone to keep them happy.

Could it be as a result of local elections this week? What a surprise.

I think its a great idea. Prisoners like the rest of us should earn perks not be given them for being a scumbag.

Had a go at them? :roll:

Prisons have all manor of leisure facilities in them, stuff you or I could not afford or would have to join a paid club to gain access to.

---------- Post added 30-04-2013 at 11:06 ----------

What is the current re-offending rate?

I'll just drop this link here:

Reoffending rates reach record level

2011: 44% of offenders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18188610

I've no problem with prisons having fitness equipment or pool tables in them.

Or that they organise educational classes for the prisoners.

I do think the right to early release from jail has to be earned rather than automatic.

I have read that in some prisons, people are locked in their cells for 23 hours a day. That's just pointless. How the hell is rehabilitation supposed to happen if that kind of system is running?

I think the current system works ok, if you take away the telly and stuff that keeps people distracted they're only going to get into trouble - afterall they're not the nicest of people.

What the prison system needs is more spaces and a greater emphasis on general education.

Like maybe some prison sentences should come with the caveat that parole won't be considered until they've achieved 5C's at GCSE (or whatever they don't have)

Totally agree all of the above. As that all costs money, it won't happen. What will happen in an effort to appease daily mail readers everywhere is that prisoners who are bored criminals will now need something else to fill their days like rioting.

I'm all for locking up wrong uns (did anyone notice the news that 10000 cases involving more serious offences didn't go to court but should have done? Not good either) but this could be a costly mistake.

I've no problem with prisons having fitness equipment or pool tables in them.

As long as access is earned and not automatic, that's fine.

Or that they organise educational classes for the prisoners.

I do think the right to early release from jail has to be earned rather than automatic.

I have read that in some prisons, people are locked in their cells for 23 hours a day. That's just pointless. How the hell is rehabilitation supposed to happen if that kind of system is running?

What about punishment?

Archived