Tories to get rid of prison perks

No, I didn't say that was the only answer, however the general experience by inmates must mean they are not worried about being put back inside. Therefore, they need both better opportunities when they leave but they also need to be punished so that prison is the last place they want to be.

Their freedom has been removed. What else do you suggest punishment wise?

the general experience by inmates must mean they are not worried about being put back inside.

I think half the problem is the lack of time they do spend inside.

They get a weak prison sentence to start off with, then they know they only have to serve half of that anyway.

So in the end it's only a couple of months of their time, kinda like abit of a holiday.

More prison space is needed to hold more people for longer lengths of time.

If you're a constant re-offender you should automatically get maximum sentence and no parole.

It's a cynical ploy designed to pander to popular misconceptions about prison.

There is no evidence base for it.

What does it hope to achieve, if anything?[/QUOTE]

I think the Tories hope to achieve damage limitation in local elections.

Talking tough about prisoners like being nasty to single mums, asylum seekers, or offering income tax cuts to the better off - it rubs the tory's erogenous zones and gets them favourable headlines in the Daily Heil.

Their freedom has been removed. What else do you suggest punishment wise?

Its obviously not working if nearly half of inmates re-offend. therefore the punishment is not severe enough. Taking away their perks is a start to making prison a punishment and not a holiday camp.

I think half the problem is the lack of time they do spend inside.

They get a weak prison sentence to start off with, then they know they only have to serve half of that anyway.

So in the end it's only a couple of months of their time, kinda like abit of a holiday.

More prison space is needed to hold more people for longer lengths of time.

If you're a constant re-offender you should automatically get maximum sentence and no parole.

personally I feel that prison should be a short (relatively) sharp punishment, with education to boot. Make prison the last place anyone would want to be, but give them the opportunities to make a better life on the outside without resorting to crime.

personally I feel that prison should be a short (relatively) sharp punishment, with education to boot. Make prison the last place anyone would want to be, but give them the opportunities to make a better life on the outside without resorting to crime.

You do know that all of this has been tried and failed?

No, I didn't say that was the only answer, however the general experience by inmates must mean they are not worried about being put back inside. Therefore, they need both better opportunities when they leave but they also need to be punished so that prison is the last place they want to be.

Or alternatively help people to ensure they have a stake in society so that they wouldn't risk losing what they got for a stint inside.

There are states in America where the prison population is larger than ours - yet their penal system is anything but cushy. At some point people have to think beyond the knee jerk reactions.

As I've said before I don't think people should be entitled to early releases, and some priviliges should be earned.

Archived