Unemployed forced to take meaningless questionairre - what's the point

Re test:

Well I haven't seen it but from what folk say it sounds to me to be more about being able to self-assess and gain self-knowledge, in other words the answers are not for the benefit of the tester but the testee; to get them thinking.

You'd be surprised at how many people have no self awareness. As long as it doesn't cost to administer, where's the harm?

But whats productive about making people jump through more and more hoops?

Does this create jobs?

No of course not, it just causes more hassle, stress and burdens the tax payer.

Given that they are employed directly by the Government, under the direction of Iain Duncan Smith I'd say It has everything to do with it.

Pointing out that the government is requiring its citizens to do a bogus meaningless test for their benefits is not whining. If you think it is, then you've no need to contribute to the thread, your involvement is not compulsory.

And just for the record I'm not unemployed, so no I won't be doing as I'm told down at the DWP. And even if I were unemployed I'd have earned them as I've worked for over 25 years, so it wouldn't be free money.

The unemployed have a right to be treated with dignity and not given meaningless tasks to do to satisfy Herr Duncan Smith. If you have anger issues, go to the gym or go for a walk. Don't take them out on the unemployed.

Meaningless is your interpretation, please do not state it as fact. You will never fully understand the motives for everything you are asked to do, that is life.

I get it, you don't want to do this as you see it as pointless. I was unemployed once too and I jumped through every hoop they asked and just got on with it.

Do this tiny task that is being asked and get on with your life, complaining and moaning about something that will take literally minutes to complete is never going to make you look good.

Re test:

Well I haven't seen it but from what folk say it sounds to me to be more about being able to self-assess and gain self-knowledge, in other words the answers are not for the benefit of the tester but the testee; to get them thinking.

You'd be surprised at how many people have no self awareness. As long as it doesn't cost to administer, where's the harm? However, I accept that in many cases, it could appear very patronising to some people

But if the test is rigged so that each result is the same no matter what answer you give then it doesn't help anyone.

I agree that some psychmetric tests can be very useful in helping to identify a person's strengths and weaknesses and give the pesron insight into how they can develop themselves. Why not give the unemployed these?

It seems to me that to justify the huge amount of public subsidy to the 'Nudge Unit' they had to devise their own test. What they have come up with is at best a waste of time, at worst (as some have claimed) completely unethical.

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 16:36 ----------

Meaningless is your interpretation, please do not state it as fact. You will never fully understand the motives for everything you are asked to do, that is life.

I get it, you don't want to do this as you see it as pointless. I was unemployed once too and I jumped through every hoop they asked and just got on with it.

Do this tiny task that is being asked and get on with your life, complaining and moaning about something that will take literally minutes to complete is never going to make you look good.

As citizens in a democracy do we not have the right to question public policy?

No doubt it would be wonderful for Governments to have a population that are compliant and never challenge or raise concerns.

I appreciate that the unemployed and disabled are percieved by some as not worth worrying about and that the DWP, ATOS and the press can do whatever and say what ever they like without much controversy. I disagree.

I think it's even more important to raise questions about how they are treated. Simply because none of us know when we are going to be made redundant - so we all have a vested interest in ensuring that the unemployed are not denigrated.

On the specifics, as I and andygardener have said it would be better if tests gave honest feedback. Then the person would know what their strengths and weaknesses are and how they could develop themselves better to gain employment.

As citizens in a democracy do we not have the right to question public policy?

Yes you do, but to publish opinion as fact to back up your claim is plain wrong. This questionnaire is in your opinion pointless. Fair enough, that's your opinion, but as a citizen of a democracy that is giving you state aid to support you in your time of need, you should do as you are required to gain that support. Taking what you can and not wishing to adhere to the requirements is ungrateful.

If you think you have spotted gainful waste of public expenses, take them to your MP and his or her next workshop and discuss them. But don't attack the DWP as they will not take kindly to it and could see it as noncompliance, which will lose you some of your support for a time.

Yes you do, but to publish opinion as fact to back up your claim is plain wrong. This questionnaire is in your opinion pointless. Fair enough, that's your opinion, but as a citizen of a democracy that is giving you state aid to support you in your time of need, you should do as you are required to gain that support. Taking what you can and not wishing to adhere to the requirements is ungrateful.

If you think you have spotted gainful waste of public expenses, take them to your MP and his or her next workshop and discuss them. But don't attack the DWP as they will not take kindly to it and could see it as noncompliance, which will lose you some of your support for a time.

It isn't pointless in his opinion, it is empirically pointless. It is to psychometric testing what those golf ball gimic things which the guys just got 10 years for are to bomb detection. The issue isn't the unemployed doing what is required of them, which I and pretty much everyone supports, it is people getting paid to peddle a fake psychometric test and instead of being sacked they are according to links posted by other being rewarded by being promoted to a quasi private organisation.

It isn't pointless in his opinion, it is empirically pointless. It is to psychometric testing what those golf ball gimic things which the guys just got 10 years for are to bomb detection. The issue isn't the unemployed doing what is required of them, which I and pretty much everyone supports, it is people getting paid to peddle a fake psychometric test and instead of being sacked they are according to links posted by other being rewarded by being promoted to a quasi private organisation.

Do you have the questionnaire to hand and the statistical database they are building, plus the results they are extracting from that data?

Do you have the questionnaire to hand and the statistical database they are building, plus the results they are extracting from that data?

Yes, it's linked in the OP. I answered it honestly and it gave me a bunch of meaningless guff, I answered a second time in the mindset of a lazy moronic serial killer and got pretty much the same meaningless guff.

Try it yourself.

Yes, it's linked in the OP. I answered it honestly and it gave me a bunch of meaningless guff, I answered a second time in the mindset of a lazy moronic serial killer and got pretty much the same meaningless guff.

Try it yourself.

So you mean NO you don't have the statistical database they are building, plus the results they are extracting from that data, what you have is your OPINION on the results that are PRETTY MUCH what you thought.

Well I'm sold on that conclusive, peer reviewed scientific statement :roll:

Archived