Archdale road manor

annjune

i remember that family think there was a boy and girl , i cant think of their name
Kelly's directories between 1965 and 1973 give William Overend as the householder of 160 Archdale Road.

Kelly's directories between 1965 and 1973 give William Overend as the householder of 160 Archdale Road.

Correct, they moved to Harborough Avenue.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 17:56 ----------

I believe the Overends were the first tenants, circa '52?

...I believe the Overends were the first tenants, circa '52?
I think the house must have been built a little later than 1952. The only 1950s directory I have is that of 1954 which doesn't show No 160, so this suggests that the house was built after 1953 (when the 1954 directory was compiled).

I think the house must have been built a little later than 1952. The only 1950s directory I have is that of 1954 which doesn't show No 160, so this suggests that the house was built after 1953 (when the 1954 directory was compiled).

The reason I say '52 is a clear memory of walking up the jennel that runs between Archdale Rd and Stonecliffe Rd and looking at what would most likely have been the construction of no.154, I especially remember the wooden scaffolding. I was with my older brother who confirms I was either 5 or 6 years old then (born April'47) My memory is of not being of school age but memory is of course a dodgy old thing at times so it's possible I was 6 then which would put it at maybe '53.

Unless I did see it just before I started school in '52 and it wasn't completed and occupied until '54, after all 160 was a few doors along from the houses I saw being built.

My uncle Jim and aunt jessie Used to live on Archdale Road thay surname was Thompson with son jimmy and daught jessie .

uncle jim had a motorbike and sidecar which was a job to get up the very steep drivewayto the road .

I can not remember the numger but it was near the folk in the road .

Archived