Arrested on suspicion..

It seems to me it's celebrity hunting season .

No thoughts of the victims of sexual assault and rape who've been kept their silence out of shame and a fear of being disbelieved all these years?

Why strange?

Charging now means guilty does it?

The court case will determine wether he is guilty or not based on the evidence.

Of he is guilty he will be labelled a rapist by everyone.

If he is not guilty will he be labelled an innocent injured party?

By some, yes.

By others, no, a rapist that got away with it.

Strange because you have made statements that this cannot be proven, but now that he has been charged you seem to accept that there just might be some evidence that could prove his guilt. Strange because you have contradicted yourself.

Juries have to make a verdict of guilt based on evidence that proves "beyond reasonable doubt". Halibut and myself are against capital punishment for the reason that even with this instruction innocent people are still found guilty on occasion, but the balance of probability is that far more guilty people are found not guilty than innocent ones are found not guilty. The jury is asked to give a verdict of "guilty or not guilty" not "guilty or innocent", there is a subtle distinction.

The truth of the events might only ever be known by Roache and his alleged victims, so even if he is found "not guilty" he might not be innocent. It's unfortunate that he has been named at this stage, and that mud sticks, but that's the imperfect nature of our justice system unfortunately.

What is obviously wrong is to claim that he shouldn't be investigated or charged because it happened a long time ago.

It really makes you think .Don't you think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317580/Teenage-girls-jailed-falsely-accusing-father-flashing-revenge-long-running-family-dispute.html

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 22:46 ----------

No thoughts of the victims of sexual assault and rape who've been kept their silence out of shame and a fear of being disbelieved all these years?

It really makes you think .Don't you think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317580/Teenage-girls-jailed-falsely-accusing-father-flashing-revenge-long-running-family-dispute.html

A dreadful thing to happen - quite right that the women involved were sentenced to a jail term and a good job done by the police who investigated the case.

The number of men falsely accused compared to the number of woman whose rapists are never brought to justice is miniscule though.

A dreadful thing to happen - quite right that the women involved were sentenced to a jail term and a good job done by the police who investigated the case.

The number of men falsely accused compared to the number of woman whose rapists are never brought to justice is miniscule though.

Yes I agree, RAPE is an abhorrent act against anyone, but unfortunately articles like in the Mail are happening a lot to innocent people which gives grave concern as to the validity of the charges, and indeed the person who has come forward with them.

Which raises the question it's about time the law was changed to protect those who have been charged with sexual offences until proven guilty in a court of law.:)

Yes I agree, RAPE is an abhorrent act against anyone, but unfortunately articles like in the Mail are happening a lot to innocent people which gives grave concern as to the validity of the charges, and indeed the person who has come forward with them.

Which raises the question it's about time the law was changed to protect those who have been charged with sexual offences until proven guilty in a court of law.:)

How many? Do you know how many men are actually convicted of rape compared with how many women say they've been raped?

Thats a fair point, but dont you think it would be better if names were kept out of it, unless the alleged offender was charged?
I don't think they should be named, and I'm sure i'm not the only woman who thinks that.

I'm all for deterring sex offenders and punishing rapists, but I'm having some doubt about this whole process to be honest, and if the alleged crime had happened to me 45 years ago however damaged I still felt years later I certainly don't think I would feel any better by getting revenge on someone.

Apart from that giving evidence would be like re-living the experience all over again and yet again being the victim.

I don't think they should be named, and I'm sure i'm not the only woman who thinks that.

I'm all for deterring sex offenders and punishing rapists, but I'm having some doubt about this whole process to be honest, and if the alleged crime had happened to me 45 years ago however damaged I still felt years later I certainly don't think I would feel any better by getting revenge on someone.

Apart from that giving evidence would be like re-living the experience all over again and yet again being the victim.

Maybe IF you had been raped 40 yrs ago maybe you wouldn't have to contemplate being "a victim again" you may awaken every morning living with the fact you were a victim...maybe 40yrs has no relevance?

"Revenge" seems an odd word to use. It may have nothing to do with "however damaged you felt after 45yrs" or "revenge"...what about closure, a sense of justice, what's right? A feeling of not being alone/isolated?

Maybe IF you had been raped 40 yrs ago maybe you wouldn't have to contemplate being "a victim again" you may awaken every morning living with the fact you were a victim...maybe 40yrs has no relevance?

"Revenge" seems an odd word to use. It may have nothing to do with "however damaged you felt after 45yrs" or "revenge"...what about closure, a sense of justice, what's right? A feeling of not being alone/isolated?

However damaged a person feels reporting the crime so many years later, being aware that the person has a family who are going to suffer too isn't necessary going to bring closure.

I realise that some women will be so traumatised that they will need professional help even years after the event, but at some point they will have to face the fact that however damaged they feel allowing such a traumatic event to control their lives and continually viewing themselves as a victim is never going to be help them regain mental strength and recovery..

Archived