Arrested on suspicion..

I never pretended anything of the sort.

I simply said that once the accusation is out in the open prior to the trial it jeopardises the ability for the defendant to receive a fair trial due to the jurers being influenced by what they've seen on television and in the newspapers.

Anonymity should be kept until the conviction, at which point I'd be happy for them to be named/stoned/whatever.

Most, if not all of the evidence presented at a criminal trial is kept out of the public domain for precisely this reason. Obviously we are not aware of the facts regarding the police's decision to charge Roache, for example which will no doubt come to light at any trial.

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 13:38 ----------

Here's a good blog that discusses some the issues raised on this thread. Here is another one which argues against rape suspects being given anonymity.

Here is a further example of a named suspect whose past came back to haunt him, as a result of not being granted anonymity.

Most, if not all of the evidence presented at a criminal trial is kept out of the public domain for precisely this reason. Obviously we are not aware of the facts regarding the police's decision to charge Roache, for example which will no doubt come to light at any trial.

Yes, it was the same with that guy who is on trial for the murder of April Jones. Blood and bone fragments found at his home, but that never made the news.

Another example :

http://news.sky.com/story/894630/wrongly-accused-yeates-landlords-living-hell

"Mr Jefferies, who used to be the head of English at Clifton College - one of the country's oldest public schools - said almost a year on from his arrest that he was still working to restore his good name."

But I suppose you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs eh ?

Another example :

"Mr Jefferies, who used to be the head of English at Clifton College - one of the country's oldest public schools - said almost a year on from his arrest that he was still working to restore his good name."

This is why some of Leveson's recommendations should be implemented and Jeffries has spoken powerfully on this issue. However, this is not an argument for granting rape suspects anonymity, in my view.

Another example :

It shouldn't be an either or situation, there is a third way; one where people acknowledge a not guilty verdict from the courts means the the person is innocent of the crime.

It shouldn't be an either or situation, there is a third way; one where people acknowledge a not guilty verdict from the courts means the the person is innocent of the crime.

Spot on JFK..have asked this twice in the thread and not one has attempted to answer.

"Why does mud stick?" Because some frothing idiots just can't quite get their heads around acknowledging a courts decision. Or just prepared to pick up a pitchfork on the basis "me dad sed ee looked guilty cos eez got a tash".

In the case of Hall, I suspect that given the multiple victims he was advised to plead guilty and express contrition in the hope that the judge be lenient in light of these factors combined with his age and ill health (he claims to have heart problems although this didn't prevent him from working) in the sentencing. I expect he will receive a light sentence or possibly even a suspended one.

If they have done nothing wrong, then they have nothing to fear. If they knowingly had sex with underage girls and/boys which is classed as rape, then hopefully they are having sleepless nights.

too many people sticking their oar in and stirring it before they even know the facts,no-one has yet been convicted and your judgments are made on tabloid hearsay:gag:

Let the appropriate people do their jobs and get to the bottom of all these issues without having their judgement hindered by money making news companies

too many people sticking their oar in and stirring it before they even know the facts,no-one has yet been convicted and your judgments are made on tabloid hearsay:gag:

Let the appropriate people do their jobs and get to the bottom of all these issues without having their judgement hindered by money making news companies

You've not seen the news about Stuart Hall today then (not even earlier in this thread) I take it.

Archived