Arrested on suspicion..

Probably. I don't know if it should apply to EVERY crime, but off the top of my head, I cannot think of a crime where the victim could not or should not be able to sue.

Child sexual abuse can and does ruin lives. It is also extremely isolating as often victims are too frightened to tell anyone and often when they do, they are not believed. If a bit of money makes their lives more comfortable, I for one do not begrudge it. Child abuse is a heinous crime.

Why ?

It was a genuine question.

My point wasn't whether the question was genuine or not, rather the question poorly put.

In most cases defendants are punished for their crime. That punishment has no bearing on the individual/victim in question, that is why an individual regardless of a public trial can sue. It may be a case that the CPS take over a private prosecution or in deed close it if evidence is short coming or not in the public interest.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 17:54 ----------

Child sexual abuse can and does ruin lives. It is also extremely isolating as often victims are too frightened to tell anyone and often when they do, they are not believed. If a bit of money makes their lives more comfortable, I for one do not begrudge it. Child abuse is a heinous crime.

We mustn't also forget that these celebs have earned vast amounts based on a lie. Personally I'd strip them of every asset and leave them with the very basics.

My point wasn't whether the question was genuine or not, rather the question poorly put.

In most cases defendants are punished for their crime. That punishment has no bearing on the individual/victim in question, that is why an individual regardless of a public trial can sue. It may be a case that the CPS take over a private prosecution or in deed close it if evidence is short coming or not in the public interest.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 17:54 ----------

We mustn't also forget that these celebs have earned vast amounts based on a lie. Personally I'd strip them of every asset and leave them with the very basics.

Very true, they have also used their celebrity to groom adults and children as well as been protected due to their status.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/six-more-women-say-they-were-abused-by-stuart-hall-8603428.html

I agree with the solicitor in the above article.

Am i missing something here, but isn't anyone allowed to attempt to sue anyone else? Of course whether that attempt is successful will depend upon the quality of the evidence.

So are some people trying to suggest that everyone has the right to sue, apart from the victims of sexual crimes?

Am i missing something here, but isn't anyone allowed to attempt to sue anyone else? Of course whether that attempt is successful will depend upon the quality of the evidence.

So are some people trying to suggest that everyone has the right to sue, apart from the victims of sexual crimes?

No, I think they're implying that these women are solely motivated by money and it was the only reason that they decided to come forward and see Hall as a cash cow.

No, I think they're implying that these women are solely motivated by money and it was the only reason that they decided to come forward and see Hall as a cash cow.

I did consider that, but I find it impossible to conclude that somebody could believe that the main motivation of these victims of a sexual crimes would be greed.

they clearly are motivated by money! how long before their whole sordid story will be in a tabloid paper or magazine or made into a documentary??....within the next year i guess! and why should they get compensation ?? the law punishes the guilty and we still await Mr halls punishment....no need to sue him or his estate......................or was that the plan???:suspect::suspect: all along this and all the other cases

I did consider that, but I find it impossible to conclude that somebody could believe that the main motivation of these victims of a sexual crimes would be greed.

Believe you me some on here do and have said as much. :(

^^^^^^ I rest my case.

Not at all, it was just a case of clarifying the basis of the claim.

There is one anomaly that has been highlighted in the last few posts and that is that if a wealthy person is found guilty the victim may sue and win a sum of money.

If the guilty person does not have any wealth then the victim will get no money by suing.

Also is that treating a wealthy and poor guilty party differently ?

they clearly are motivated by money! how long before their whole sordid story will be in a tabloid paper or magazine or made into a documentary??....within the next year i guess! and why should they get compensation ?? the law punishes the guilty and we still await Mr halls punishment....no need to sue him or his estate......................or was that the plan???:suspect::suspect: all along this and all the other cases

Don't judge everyone by your own standards. If speaking publicly about their abuse is therapeutic and helps other survivors, I applaud their courage.

Archived