Arrested on suspicion..

There is a possible downside to people chosing to sue their attacker.

Stuart Hall has admitted his guilt to some accusations (some have been left on file). I don't know if this is out of true remorse and he is trying to now lessen the burden of court appearances for his accusers, or it is because the evidence is so great that he is sure to be convicted and is trying to reduce his sentence.

Either way, his confession has left him open to civil action, which will hit his future standard of living, and that of his family. Anyone else in the same position as Hall, in future, might think twice about admitting guilt, if it would always result in future loss of financial security. They might continue to protest their innocence to the bitter end.

And the downside of that is IF found guilty the sentence handed down could far exceed the sentence of an admission of guilt..swings n roundabouts really..you take your chances, a choice not usually given to a victim.

And the downside of that is IF found guilty the sentence handed down could far exceed the sentence of an admission of guilt..swings n roundabouts really..you take your chances, a choice not usually given to a victim.

I agree that the earlier they admit guilt the less their sentence - because it reduces court time, but more importantly IMO it reduces the need for court appearances by the victim.

The perpetrator has to balance when/if to admit guilt, and he will weigh up the pros and cons. The risk of being sued might put him off from admitting guilt, which would be to the detriment of his accusers, who will need to appear in court.

Indeed. What can I say to that? Poor people have less money. Is this new to you?

I'm sure these money grabbing 9 year olds will be trying to be raped by a rich man from now on. It's much more profitable. :rolleyes:

Chris,

my post 309 may clarify matters.

Maybe they are motivated by revenge, and want to take as much from the pedophile as possible? To me this would seem a reasonable reaction, why does it cause you so much concern?

its taken 40+ years to actually get to the stage where its reported, then its said that they didnt want to bring it into the open years ago or were afraid? now they are in the spotlight and now it seems the floodgates are open and its open season for anyone in the last 40+ years who as much as looked at any girl who was starry eyed and star struck, it just seems wrong that they now want compensation? for what? what will that do? block out the momory of the nasty man who innapropriatly touched or groped or worse??? no of course it wont.

thats what concerns me, if it was the other way around and i was in that position i would want to move on and forget, not have it pushed in my face from now on....which is what will happen now, Tv shows , documentary, newspaper articles glossy mags with "MY life stories"

it just seems wrong that they now want compensation? for what? what will that do?

Why does it seem wrong to want compensation?

I think the line of posturing that people are in it for the tabloid pullouts and glossy magazine deals is palpably silly. Not that big of a market for the tales of rape victims. This same thing was tried against Savile's victims and Hello magazine hasn't been flooded with their 'kiss n tells' yet.

no evidence personally as you well know and it is the same for your own view? where did i say 100%???? and plenty i would hazrd a common sense gues of about 80-90% are motivated by money.....sadly i also reckon we will never really know as it will eventually go quiet.....is there a date for a first trial??????....No didnt think so! cps will never bring one to court except for the saville one maybe and even then a lot will be malicious claims. we will see

It didn't take long for us to see, did it?

its taken 40+ years to actually get to the stage where its reported, then its said that they didnt want to bring it into the open years ago or were afraid? now they are in the spotlight and now it seems the floodgates are open and its open season for anyone in the last 40+ years who as much as looked at any girl who was starry eyed and star struck, it just seems wrong that they now want compensation? for what? what will that do? block out the momory of the nasty man who innapropriatly touched or groped or worse??? no of course it wont.

thats what concerns me, if it was the other way around and i was in that position i would want to move on and forget, not have it pushed in my face from now on....which is what will happen now, Tv shows , documentary, newspaper articles glossy mags with "MY life stories"

You weren't "in that position" so get back under your log.

I doubt you'd take that tone with him, or anyone else, to their face, so don't be like it on here.

To be fair I doubt whether 'Adam Smith' would say the things he has about the alleged victims of child abuse to their faces as he has on here.

The problem is, how to find out who is actually trying to use this as a gravy train and which people really did have terrible acts happen to them.

Their will be some making stories up to get a few quick quid, their is absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.

Archived