UK plebian under the impression he had a right to grow fruit!

The writer has had his plot at the site for six years, and in 2008 decided to stop growing vegetables when he found himself with so many potatoes, leeks and onions that he could neither eat them nor give them away.

To replace them, he paid £600 for 13 fruit trees, planting a mixture of pear, plum, apple, cherry and apricot trees.

But when council workers carried out a 'plot inspection', they told Mr Rock he was not 'cultivating the land properly', and warned him he must grow vegetables again if he did not want to be evicted from the allotment.

Council rules introduced last year dictate that three quarters of every plot should be 'planted with productive crops or other plants', in order to prevent plot holders from neglected the highly sought-after land.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317208/Allotment-owner-vows-battle-council-European-Human-Rights-Court-evicted-fruit-trees.html#ixzz2S2x72PyL

A fellow plebian has been trying to use his allotment to grow expensive fruit for human consumption. The old fool was clearly unaware of the rules.

Orchards are for wealthy landowners, if you want to eat fruit, you must pay your tithes to the landowners for the privilege.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317208/Allotment-owner-vows-battle-council-European-Human-Rights-Court-evicted-fruit-trees.html#ixzz2S2x72PyL

A fellow plebian has been trying to use his allotment to grow expensive fruit for human consumption. The old fool was clearly unaware of the rules.

Orchards are for wealthy landowners, if you want to eat fruit, you must pay your tithes to the landowners for the privilege.

From that article:

Clive Read, a landscape technician for the council, told the hearing last week: 'I don't believe that growing fruit trees as a monoculture is an appropriate use of an allotment.'

In the end, however, the judge sided with the council, telling the court: 'I find as a fact that the cultivation of 13 fruit trees on that area of land with only grass in between them is not something which meets the stipulation of 75 per cent cultivation within two years.'

So he didn't get into trouble for growing fruit trees. He got in trouble for making poor use of the allotment. If he'd grown other produce between the trees he'd have been OK.

but you can't really grow produce between trees, not only do they suck up loads of water but they also block out loads of sun.

Not to mention the roots of most vegetables would tangle with the tree's, meaning you'd wreck alot of the stuff when you pull it out of the ground.

but you can't really grow produce between trees, not only do they suck up loads of water but they also block out loads of sun.

Not to mention the roots of most vegetables would tangle with the tree's, meaning you'd wreck alot of the stuff when you pull it out of the ground.

It certainly wouldn't be as productive as if no trees were there but would be better than nothing.

I'm surprised by chem1st support for this guy. He's always going on about people needing allotments to grow food - this guy has obviously decided to not make effective use of the allotment, surely it would be better to give it to someone who currently goes to a food bank so they can grow their own food.

I thought all allotments had certain rules about not growing fruit. Once some strawberry plants or blackberry bushes get established for instance the place would soon be overwhelmed and would be neither use nor ornament.

Sheffield says:

• At least 75% of the total area of your plot must be used to cultivate fruit and vegetables

• Fruit trees must be on dwarf rootstock and must not make up more than 25% of the total area of your plot

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/social-care-health/nutrition/Allotment-Handbook--PDF--2-64MB-.pdf

Sort of shot yourself in the foot there.

He was not cultivating the land correctly, from your many, many many previous posts regarding land you state we should have access to grow our own veg to provide ourselves with the nourishment we require.

If I was starving and someone gave me potatoes, leeks and onions I would say thank you and make a stew.

If someone gave me cherries, plums and apricots I would still say thank you but think " what the hell can I do with these?"

Ps. This post will shortly be deleted as all my negative comments to chemist seem to be.

a) if he planted them in 2008 at an average cost of £46 a tree why do they look like freshly planted saplings 5 years later.

b) why didn't he just rotivate 75% of the plot and buy a big bag of lettuce seeds for buttons rather than dicking around in court

and c) what on earth makes him think there's a "human right" to grow apricots on land you don't own?

No sympathy for the bloke, he comes across as a chippy git.

Trees on allotment sites can become problematic....

as geared said they suck up water and block out the sun.if they are not dwarf stock (if they had been they would have been closer together).

So in 10 + years time the trees, established would be effecting neighbouring plots too.

He didn't just plant a couple of trees - it was 13.

Archived