UK plebian under the impression he had a right to grow fruit!

Sometimes you have to allow them to do things for themselves, like grow their own fruit. They might fear taking fruit from local trees because they are worried about being jailed for theft!

How do you know if a tree is owned? Are you even allowed to take the fruit without first finding out who owns it?

Are Abundance acting legally?

Some people on the allotments have illegally sold food to other people so that they can eat.

Abundance pick a lot of their stuff from peoples gardens who have contacted them because they have a surplus......

and I don't think people have a problem taking small quantities of fruit from trees in public spaces - private spaces is different....I wasn't meaning that....

So people don't know what an apple or cherry looks like :huh:

you cannot be serious........

I didn't say that. But some people don't!

Only the other day I as teaching a young child new words, and they though a 'pea' was an apple - both green and spherical, a fair guess for a 2 year old.

But there are definitely people in the UK who would not know these things. Not everyone is compos mentis for example.

Aye. We should also consider his allotment size (we should really have a change to price per metre squared! based upon the poles/rods etc. -

250sqm/plot!). He could have a 'small one'.

So if your allotment is but 40% the size of a proper allotment, you should pay exactly 40% of the applicable rent to the penny.

I didn't notice the article giving dimensions

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 23:55 ----------

I didn't say that. But some people don't!

Only the other day I as teaching a young child new words, and they though a 'pea' was an apple - both green and spherical, a fair guess for a 2 year old.

But there are definitely people in the UK who would not know these things. Not everyone is compos mentis for example.

:hihi: :hihi: you said it........

Abundance pick a lot of their stuff from peoples gardens who have contacted them because they have a surplus......

and I don't think people have a problem taking small quantities of fruit from trees in public spaces - private spaces is different....I wasn't meaning that....

Aye. Suppose it comes down to 'gleaning'.

I wouldn't be too fussed if somebody stole the odd bit of veg from my lotty, but if they took the lot I'd want both their hands and feet removing.

My plan basically is to give it away, I won't be able to eat it all.

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 23:59 ----------

I didn't notice the article giving dimensions

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 23:55 ----------

Neither did I, us plebs need to make sure were getting our allotments worth of land I tell thee now! Are you in a federation/society Parvo?

:hihi: :hihi: you said it........

Hehe. I think it took me nigh on 20 minutes to convince my friends young one that a 'pea' was a 'pea' and not an apple! Next week it'll be a damn cherry and a red apple! :hihi:

How's the allotment going chem? (I sincerely hope it's not 95% grass and a couple of twigs like the chancer in the op) ((and i'm sure it's not))

Guy with the next plot is as you describe. He put fork in twice t'other day and gave up, me thinks he will give his up and it shall become mine.

Busy digging it through by hand, removing all weeds and stones. Nearly there now, less than 1/6th to go (I made more work for myself), but it's getting harder. It's like SF on speed. You spend more time talking to other people than owt else :hihi:

Some beds/rows started, but rushed to be fair, have some bushes and a single tree down, compost heap. Going to prepare the next beds better and should be planted fully by end of next week.

Have held back on fencing - money set aside like, am eyeing up a few other plots, two of which are beside mine and would alter my fencing plans if I could acquire them - one I think is near on certainty. I have a large flag pole and a Yorkshire flag :D (I'm not fashion conscious but the South Yorkshire flag is quite frankly **** )

Local rabbits and foxes, so need to adapt to that.

It's good fun and I already have a sun tan!

I have a few other 'patches' I attend to/have sown with and w/o permission. Maintenance is far easier than a proper dig over.

I've caught the bug man. I've another little plot eyed up, that has been used for dumping little bits of rubbish. Very small plot, but would look attractive with some flowers. Council/private businesses nearby don't look after it, but I have to walk past it everyday. It'll soon be blooming :P

Seed storage is a bit of a concern, but no rush at present. Any recommendations/tips?

Guy with the next plot is as you describe. He put fork in twice t'other day and gave up, me thinks he will give his up and it shall become mine.

Busy digging it through by hand, removing all weeds and stones. Nearly there now, less than 1/6th to go (I made more work for myself), but it's getting harder. It's like SF on speed. You spend more time talking to other people than owt else :hihi:

Some beds/rows started, but rushed to be fair, have some bushes and a single tree down, compost heap. Going to prepare the next beds better and should be planted fully by end of next week.

Have held back on fencing - money set aside like, am eyeing up a few other plots, two of which are beside mine and would alter my fencing plans if I could acquire them - one I think is near on certainty. I have a large flag pole and a Yorkshire flag :D (I'm not fashion conscious but the South Yorkshire flag is quite frankly **** )

Local rabbits and foxes, so need to adapt to that.

It's good fun and I already have a sun tan!

I have a few other 'patches' I attend to/have sown with and w/o permission. Maintenance is far easier than a proper dig over.

I've caught the bug man. I've another little plot eyed up, that has been used for dumping little bits of rubbish. Very small plot, but would look attractive with some flowers. Council/private businesses nearby don't look after it, but I have to walk past it everyday. It'll soon be blooming :P

Seed storage is a bit of a concern, but no rush at present. Any recommendations/tips?

Best tip I can give you is dig dig and dig again with the fork, get every last bit of couch grass out because it will be back with a vengance if you leave a skeric of it in there. Re seed storage, dark and dry is what you want, I keep mine in good quality paper wraps in a drawer in the house - bit of basildon bond, fold into a wrap and secure with a staple and label. Plastic bags make them sweat and rot.

Glad to hear it's going well :)

Best tip I can give you is dig dig and dig again with the fork, get every last bit of couch grass out because it will be back with a vengance if you leave a skeric of it in there. Re seed storage, dark and dry is what you want, I keep mine in good quality paper wraps in a drawer in the house - bit of basildon bond, fold into a wrap and secure with a staple and label. Plastic bags make them sweat and rot.

Glad to hear it's going well :)

Have you got an allotment yourself?

I've noticed a few rotavate, I think that will cause them problems down the line with the weeds.

Aye, paper is the way forwards, perhaps a mini cardboard rack/storage to keep them organised and aired.

Can send more things to seed now I have land to use.

Can make plenty seed bombs then for idle land. :)

Have you got an allotment yourself?

I've noticed a few rotavate, I think that will cause them problems down the line with the weeds.

Aye, paper is the way forwards, perhaps a mini cardboard rack/storage to keep them organised and aired.

Can send more things to seed now I have land to use.

Can make plenty seed bombs then for idle land. :)

Not an allotment as such but am in the process of expanding the allotment like area in the paddock, so couch grass lurks at all sides.

Archived