Abolish minimum alcohol pricing in the UK.

The UK has minimum alcohol pricing. UK DUTY (tax) sets the minimum price.

What do you think>?

They have a minimum price in Scotland, but we dont have one in England, yet. I am all for the price of alcohol going up, its one thing that cuts many people lives short.

Cameron is being a wus, he is scared of beinging in a minimum price and people getting upset because they cant drink themselves silly for £5.

I think that alcohol is too cheap and the 'cheap alcohol' deals in supermarkets want stopping. .

The cheaper alcohol is sold , the better it is for us consumers. Im all for supermarkets selling it as a loss leader to tempt people through their doors. Its not very often i agree with Chemist , but he is spot on here. Drinkers have always been fleeced by Governments ,same as us smokers and motorists and its about time Governments started giving the usual targets a break.

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 19:20 ----------

If the Government is so concerned, why dont they just ban alcohol and especially fags?

Banning Tobacco and Cigarettes would never work as there are so many places to buy knock off black market cigs ,and so many people buy knock off at half the shop price that banning the sale of them in shops wouldnt make no difference what so ever.

You can get absolute slaughtered round our corner shop for less then £6. For £2.99 you can buy 3ltrs of jack lightening real cheap alchohilic use only stuff.

So who needs cheap ?

For less then a tenner you can comatozed yourself and buy kids a pot noodle each for tea :D

Minimum alcohol pricing is a regressive form of taxation. Not only is it regressive, but it is discriminatory/racist.

It targets only people who drink. It is essentially a tax on non Muslims/Jehovahs/Mormons.

UK minimum alcohol pricing needs to be abolished. Increasingly people are turning to the black market to acquire alcohol, this is a market failure due to high taxation and high minimum pricing.

Alcohol DUTY needs to be abolished.

What do you think>?

Given we are trying to reduce the deficit abolishing it would be madness. It is regressive though I agree and would benefit from being altered.

As it stands a bottle of supermarket plonk at £4 has £2 in duty on it, ie 50% is duty.

A bottle of something drinkable at £8 has £2 in duty on it, ie 25% is duty.

A bottle of Richebourg '71 at £8K a bottle has £2 in duty on it, ie 0.025% is duty.

If a £2 minimum duty was kept in place but above that it was say 30% of sale price then a lot of extra revenue would be raised. It might hurt sales a little but we're not a wine producing country anyway, and it would ensure people who buy wine are contributing in a much fairer manner rather than the majority paying a relatively high level of tax on their booze and the wealthy paying a tiny fraction.

Just my two cents.

Minimum alcohol pricing is a regressive form of taxation. Not only is it regressive, but it is discriminatory/racist.

It targets only people who drink. It is essentially a tax on non Muslims/Jehovahs/Mormons.

UK minimum alcohol pricing needs to be abolished. Increasingly people are turning to the black market to acquire alcohol, this is a market failure due to high taxation and high minimum pricing.

Alcohol DUTY needs to be abolished.

What do you think>?

What is the minimum price?

What is the minimum price?

It varies for all drinks and over bands of alcohol content.

The charges are quoted in different formats.

If your lucky I might set some time aside to convert the charges to price per unit and let you know the minimum prices per unit for each form of drink.

It varies for all drinks and over bands of alcohol content.

The charges are quoted in different formats.

If your lucky I might set some time aside to convert the charges to price per unit and let you know the minimum prices per unit for each form of drink.

There isn't a minimum price. There is fixed duty, if a retailer choses to sell below that they can, they still have to pay the duty.

I bought a couple of south african wines the other week that were delisted by the coop at a 75% discount on face that put them below duty levels.

Archived