Abolish minimum alcohol pricing in the UK.

Let's tackle the problem at it's roots and change the whole alcohol culture we have in this country. Yes, it may take an entire generation, maybe longer, before any significant change occurs, but that's the only way REAL change can be made!QUOTE]

Bonzo,

What is the root cause?

How would the alcohol culture be changed?

Genuine questions.

You're asking the wrong person, but here is what I think.

Binge drinking is a serious problem, but minimum pricing or any kind of prohibition is a lazy response and it won't solve the problem. We live in a free society and it should remain so; people should have access to alcohol, just as they can access their groceries and alcohol should be able to be marketed in the same way.

The issue is obviously not the price, otherwise other countries would be having the same problems. Take Italy and Spain for example. Both market alcohol like we do in the UK and neither have minimum pricing. Do they have the same problem? No.

The government always has knee jerk reactions to problems like this. I don't know why, maybe to instantly please their voters?

I'm afraid that this issue needs some deep thought and a long term plan needs putting in place. We could start by properly educating children at school about the effects drink and drugs can have.

The entire culture needs changing and that won't happen over night!

Archived