April Jones Trial

Reading about the trial of Mark Bridger accused of murdering April it seems hard to determine at this stage what his not guilty plea is based on. I know it's usual to wait for the conclusion of proceedings but crikey things are looking bad for him!

His version of events (according to the prosecution) are that he ran her over by accident, tried to resuscitate her, then when that failed went for a pee and that's why her DNA would be found around his genital area-it was found in the crotch area of his tracksuit bottoms. In addition skull fragments were found in the grate of the fire of his house.

The trial is expected to last 7 weeks, my spleen will be ready for venting properly by then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317636/April-Jones-trial-Mark-Bridger-told-locals-hed-search-night-seen-black-bin-bag-river.html

Obviously we shouldn't make any comment on his guilt or prejudge the outcome at this stage.

The whole thing is grotesque. The details that are in the public domain seem so incriminating that this fanciful explanation makes Dan Brown's work seem credible. I would be incredibly shocked if he weren't found guilty. Poor April's parents. My heart goes out to them.

His pathetic defence is so preposterous that no-one is going to believe it.

I know it's not right to draw a conclusion when you don't have all the facts, but if thats his story he's completely f<removed>d.

If we had the Death Penalty then we could use it for plea bargaining to reduce it to life imprisonment like the Americans do.

If he's guilty, he has got nothing to lose either way with the British system and has no reason to tell anyone where April is. He'll get life anyway.

But he'll just keep appealing his conviction for the next 20 years which he couldn't do if he admits to the crime.

We need to be able to offer them something in return and that the only thing that i think would motivate them.

If we had the Death Penalty then we could use it for plea bargaining to reduce it to life imprisonment like the Americans do.

If he's guilty, he has got nothing to lose either way with the British system and has no reason to tell anyone where April is. He'll get life anyway.

But he'll just keep appealing his conviction for the next 20 years which he couldn't do if he admits to the crime.

We need to be able to offer them something in return and that the only thing that i think would motivate them.

That's a very interesting point. IF he's convicted he'll get a life term but presumably the minimum tariff will reflect his not guilty plea, although it's hard to imagine someone being convicted of such an offence ever being deemed suitable for release so your point is a good one, a defendant has little to lose by pleading not guilty in cases such as these and possibly could convince a jury of their innocence.

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 16:19 ----------

I can't even imagine how her family could cope at the moment.

Sicko's like this need weeding out of the gene pool!

Pete we're trying to avoid direct references to his guilt so the thread can stay open :)

Setup a prisoner swap program with DR Congo, see how quickly people admit to their crimes then.

That's a very interesting point. IF he's convicted he'll get a life term but presumably the minimum tariff will reflect his not guilty plea, although it's hard to imagine someone being convicted of such an offence ever being deemed suitable for release so your point is a good one, a defendant has little to lose by pleading not guilty in cases such as these and possibly could convince a jury of their innocence.

No, the seriousness for the crime will be life imprisonment without any likelihood of parole even if there was a guilty plea.

So theres nothing to lose either way and we'll never find out what happened to April.

Archived