April Jones Trial

He always has the option of choosing death, as we all do.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 15:35 ----------

Execute all their friends too:confused:?

True, that is an option we all have, Shipman and West have taken it and Huntley has made several attempts which makes one wonder why the pro-capital punishment brigade don't think that life imprisonment is more of a punishment as these men clearly felt.

I'd swing left and accept that, at any point during his interment. :thumbsup:

I hear what you say megalithic and in my less sober, teeth gnashing moments I feel the same way, the satisfaction of seeing men who murder children swing from the gallows would be quite intoxicating.

But on reflection I have to acknowledge it's a shortcoming of my reptilian brain-a knee jerk response to crimes which are frankly unforgivable and reprehensible. What purpose does it serve? It doesn't bring back the dead child and vengeance we're taught from an early age is not an attractive quality in humans. The state murdering people is little better, from a moral perspective, than individuals murdering people.

In some respects a full or very lengthy term of imprisonment is worse punishment than being executed, it might not offer us the immediacy of capital retribution but from the offenders point of view staring at 40 years or longer in prison must be worth than death.

State sanctioned cold blooded murder is barbaric and abhorrent - yes - in my view.

Killing another animal under the right circumstances is humane, and locking an animal in a cage is inhumane, and humans are just one of many animals, I would rather be dead that locked away for life and unable to walk along a river bank, climb a mountain. Do you see the problem; your idea of humane treatment would be my idea of hell, inhumane, barbaric and abhorrent.

I hear what you say megalithic and in my less sober, teeth gnashing moments I feel the same way, the satisfaction of seeing men who murder children swing from the gallows would be quite intoxicating.

But on reflection I have to acknowledge it's a shortcoming of my reptilian brain-a knee jerk response to crimes which are frankly unforgivable and reprehensible. What purpose does it serve? It doesn't bring back the dead child and vengeance we're taught from an early age is not an attractive quality in humans. The state murdering people is little better, from a moral perspective, than individuals murdering people.

In some respects a full or very lengthy term of imprisonment is worse punishment than being executed, it might not offer us the immediacy of capital retribution but from the offenders point of view staring at 40 years or longer in prison must be worth than death.

I truly believe in murder cases it should be an eye for an eye, especially when the offender refuses to co-operate as in this case. If he comes clean and gives the parents a body to lay to rest then maybe commute the sentence to life, if that's not forthcoming then what's the point in letting him live as his only usefulness now is the info he holds, which he's unlikely ever to give up.

No, the seriousness for the crime will be life imprisonment without any likelihood of parole even if there was a guilty plea.

So theres nothing to lose either way and we'll never find out what happened to April.

The bloke is a butcher by trade, burnt bone fragments were found in the ashes of his fire,her DNA was found on him,i don't think she will ever be found because she does not exist anymore.Only one verdict possible.

I truly believe in murder cases it should be an eye for an eye, especially when the offender refuses to co-operate as in this case. If he comes clean and gives the parents a body to lay to rest then maybe commute the sentence to life, if that's not forthcoming then what's the point in letting him live as his only usefulness now is the info he holds, which he's unlikely ever to give up.

And killiing him gives April Jones' parents no hope of ever being able to lay their child to rest.

So we do what we did with Brady then, and let him hold the state to ransom ?

That turned out well didn't it.

Yes. One bad person who is a psychopathic control freak should not determine something as serious as reinstating capital punishment.

So we do what we did with Brady then, and let him hold the state to ransom ?

That turned out well didn't it.

But in saying that you're making the assumption that Brady's 45 years in prison has been preferable to execution from his point of view.

True, that is an option we all have, Shipman and West have taken it and Huntley has made several attempts which makes one wonder why the pro-capital punishment brigade don't think that life imprisonment is more of a punishment as these men clearly felt.

Probably because we think it’s inhumane and expensive to lock someone up for life and the resources they consume would be better used for someone more deserving.

If it was punishment we were after then total body paralysis, a drip to keep them alive and a very small space the size of a coffin. Spending the remainder of their life unable to see, ear, smell, feel or move whilst remaining conscious would serve nicely, but we don’t want to punish them we just don’t see the point in their continued existence.

Archived