Do I need a car?

I'd love to be able to walk/cycle or get public transport to work. Sadly I work in Bradford so walking and cycling are out and public transport takes ~2hrs each way... and is no cheaper than petrol costs anyway. I'm left with forking out ~£3.3k on petrol just getting to work and back never mind all the other costs associated with car ownership.

jb

some stats just sent to me via another forum, need to check their source but I believe its from ONS.

2% of journeys in the UK are under 1 mile (1.5 km), 21% of these are made by car (a distance easily cycled in less than 5 minutes)

19% of journeys in the UK are between 1-2 miles (1.5-3 km), 60% of these are made by car (a distance easily cycled in 10 minutes or less)

28% of journeys in the UK are between 2-5 miles (3-8 km), 80% of these are made by car (a distance easily cycled in 20 minutes or less)

This gives a cumulative total of 69% of journeys made in the UK being under 5 miles (8 km)

I can't understand who'd drive less than a mile to work, unless you were some kind of travelling salesman who happened to live next door to his head office.

Depends on what you have to carry back and forth to work I guess. Me, not much.

Personally, I cycle to work every day...7 miles each way, rain or shine. Only if I need to go somewhere during work would I take the car. Been riding to work for 5 years. I loathe those occasional days when I find myself driving home in the car...45 minutes of traffic jams, stop/start, etc etc, horrible. Takes 25 minutes on the bike.

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 15:05 ----------

its great in nice weather but not good in rain or wind, plus you look a mess when you get to work

Easily rectified by getting changed at work.

Rain is no problem, I have waterproof skin, its just a bit of water.

Wind...just makes it a bit harder, so what.

• 1 month later...

I use public transport for work, I wouldn't cycle as it'd take too long and I'd be too terrified!

Would still not get rid of my car though - how do you get on for holidays, day trips, shopping, moving large things around, going to the tip etc etc?

I've been without my car for a week while I replaced a brake servo that needed the whole dash taking out (great design Peugeot). I've enjoyed using public transport and cycling to work, walking to the shops and so on. But its amazing how much longer everything takes and the planning needed.

Archived