999 or 112, they are the same.

Hi

We have just been to a first aid course, and the instructor, an ex-fireman, said that people should use 112 because its better and quicker than 999.

I think its a load of bull, but it can be confusing if in the future we have 112, 101 and 111(NHS?)

Hi

We have just been to a first aid course, and the instructor, an ex-fireman, said that people should use 112 because its better and quicker than 999.

I think its a load of bull, but it can be confusing if in the future we have 112, 101 and 111(NHS?)

112 is not the same as 999.

112 has worked across Europe since 2002 and gives caller location to the emergency services.

101 is a non-emergency call to the Police.

112 has worked across Europe since 2002 and gives caller location to the emergency services.

I understand that the emergency services have a large problem of hoax calls, if it was the case that they got the caller location, they would be pushing for the use of 112?

I understand that the emergency services have a large problem of hoax calls, if it was the case that they got the caller location, they would be pushing for the use of 112?

112 does have its own problems.

Systems generating '1' & '2' signals resulting in false '112' calls.

Hi

112 is the same as 999 in this country. 112 is a common emergency number for use throughout the EU so it can be useful to remember for if you go on holiday.

It's not quicker to dial with modern tone dial phones, but on the old pulse dial ones it is as it takes longer to dial 9 than 1 or 2. Hardly any phones are pulse dial these days so it's not worth worrying about. You're only talking about a 3 second difference anyway.

101 is the new non-emergency number for the police.

111 is the new NHS direct number.

112 goes to same operators as 999.

Is that it?

That's pretty much it. I remember being told that 112 was less likely to be dialled by accident than 999, for example if a toddler gets hold of a phone they tend to repeatedly press one number. So mobile phones with the lock on will allow 112 to be called but not 999. I think anyway, but I'm not about to put it to the test!

112 is better when using mobiles as your whereabouts can be triangulated to closer proximity than 999

Not true, its not CSI you know. The only info they get is the the receiving mast irrespective of number dialed.

Archived