999 or 112, they are the same.

Hi

We have just been to a first aid course, and the instructor, an ex-fireman, said that people should use 112 because its better and quicker than 999.

I think its a load of bull, but it can be confusing if in the future we have 112, 101 and 111(NHS?)

got told the same, was it st johns ambulance course? they can track your location easier if you call 112 apparently.

got told the same, was it st johns ambulance course? they can track your location easier if you call 112 apparently.

The company was 'First on scene', he wasnt very complimentary about things taught by st johns ambulance and the Vinney Jones add, in previous years.

If you ring 911 you get an american style SWAT team with guns. Better than the namby pamby british police "service".

Someone told me that 911 takes you through to emergency services as people who watch too many US shows do actually dial it in emergencies !!!!!

and they said 112 was he no to use...paramedics-do they know what they're talking about? I'll go with it I think

112 is better when using mobiles as your whereabouts can be triangulated to closer proximity than 999

There's no evidence (or explanation I can think of) to support this.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 07:25 ----------

As above, caller location MUST be given if 112 is dialled: http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/eu-rules-112

Information about the caller location must be given.

operators must provide information about caller location to emergency authorities

It's not magic, they get the same information (ie very little) if you dial 999.

There's no evidence (or explanation I can think of) to support this.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 07:25 ----------

Information about the caller location must be given.

It's not magic, they get the same information (ie very little) if you dial 999.

As I understand it, 112 gives phone number, SIM card number (no different from 999) and GPS position (not just the nearest mast position = different from 999).

112 works across the EU, 999 doesn't.

So 112 use is good advice and better than 999.

As I understand it, 112 gives phone number, SIM card number (no different from 999) and GPS position (not just the nearest mast position = different from 999).

112 works across the EU, 999 doesn't.

So 112 use is good advice and better than 999.

Where does the GPS come from?

Why would the network operators have two different systems for the same endpoint?

Archived