999 or 112, they are the same.

As I understand it, 112 gives phone number, SIM card number (no different from 999) and GPS position (not just the nearest mast position = different from 999).

112 works across the EU, 999 doesn't.

So 112 use is good advice and better than 999.

That would have to be magic then, because you can dial 112 from a phone that doesn't have GPS abilities built in, or turned on, or indeed from a landline.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 08:58 ----------

The link you've posted I already quoted, it doesn't mention GPS, it says that "location information must be given". The same applies to 999. They operate identically.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 09:04 ----------

I'm watching the video, but everything he's said so far applies to 999 just as it does to 112.

Sim cardless dialling has actually been disabled in the UK, he's not even getting it correct!

He didn't mention geolocation at all.

They're not phone network experts, although they're pretty good at first aid.

I was on a first aid course and the trainer said it was better to use 112 from a mobile but I guess he was wrong. It sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I was on a first aid course and the trainer said it was better to use 112 from a mobile but I guess he was wrong. It sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Maybe he just thought 112 easier to dial, rather than that the call would be connected more quickly.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to dig up this old skeleton but i too have just been told it is better to phone 112 from a mobile than 999 as

1) "its quicker" - don't know if he meant gets answered quicker or possibly because of item 2 they need less communication of your location and less chance of a mistake (a person looking at a couple of smashed up cars with people stuck inside on fire won't be the clearest minded person to talk to)

2)" they get your position using GPS" - this spoils the merit of his advice as GPS is the acronym name of the satellite system, however in his defense he was speaking to a classroom full of people and is is easier to say gps which everybody relates to rather than explain how they can triangulate your position using information from the transmitters. Also as gps stands for global positioning system the statement is really correct as it is a system of finding your position on the globe just not the satellite system.

I would like to know if anybody knows if there is a difference between the two services.

Some of the comments on here seem to indicate you would get the exact same service from 999 ?

Perhaps they do goto the same call center in this country and 112 is just an international standard for the jet set. Worth remembering if you do travel abroad.

For now i am going to use 999 from the land line and the 112 number from my mobile(or hopefully not if you get what i mean).

Archived