UKIP are on to give the major parties a good kicking.

You have to ask yourself how Labour came to be in the position of having hardly any seats in the first place.
Still meaningless without knowing where the seats were - if Labour have never done well in those areas before it could be nothing but a bonus for them. I'm not a Labour supporter by the way - I'm just trying to point out that it's not reasonable to draw too many conclusions without context.

I put UKIP?independents together as that is how the media is reporting them.

Apologies - I'd only checked the Beeb and Gruaniad which both reported them separately.

And that's never happened before? A lower turnout (the norm in by-elections) will almost certainly mean a lower majority.

If it had been a Conservative or Lib Dem "marginal" (with Labour 2nd at the last GE) that Labour had failed to take then it would have been significant.

Do you think that result would have happened in 1996? I don't. I think labour would have increased the majority. Problem is milliband is a bit of a plank with no more policies than ukip, and the Tories are, well, the Tories. I live in hope that in the fullness of time labour and conservative dwindle down to nothing. South shields indicates they don't think labour are up to job either.

Do you think that result would have happened in 1996? I don't. I think labour would have increased the majority. Problem is milliband is a bit of a plank with no more policies than ukip, and the Tories are, well, the Tories. I live in hope that in the fullness of time labour and conservative dwindle down to nothing. South shields indicates they don't think labour are up to job either.

South Shields indicates nothing really - and it isn't 1996 were we had a government that was dead in the water for a few years.

For what it's worth I think the Conservatives will win the next general election with a small overall majority as the Lib Dem vote continues to collapse in the Shires.

I voted UKIP yesterday. It's good to see them doing well, hopefully they can give the mainstream parties a bit of a shock and make them take notice that people are sick of them not listening to us.

Was it because you genuinely thought their policies make sense, or because you want to send a message to the "other" parties? Assuming it's the latter, do you think that with the emergence of UKIP it's more acceptable to make a protest vote like that than say vote for the BNP..?

I voted UKIP yesterday. It's good to see them doing well, hopefully they can give the mainstream parties a bit of a shock and make them take notice that people are sick of them not listening to us.

What's your local UKIP councillor like? How much did the previous one do for your community, assuming he's been booted out.

Just so people can compare:

2008 local council election results:

CON / +12 councils / 65 total // +257 councillors / 3155 total councillors

LAB / -9 councils / 18 total // -334 councillors / 2365 total councillors

LD / +1 councils / 12 total // +33 councillors / 1804 total councillors

It is concerning that UKIP are on the rise with their bigoted policys.

As a true supporter of a far leaning left party I do support democracy, and for this reason I think UKIP should be banned.

If you support democracy then UKIP should not have a voice and should not be allowed to continue

Your previous posts suggest otherwise, I think you're best suited to the Monster Raving Loony Party

It is concerning that UKIP are on the rise with their bigoted policys.

As a true supporter of a far leaning left party I do support democracy, and for this reason I think UKIP should be banned.

If you support democracy then UKIP should not have a voice and should not be allowed to continue

Thats a contradictory statement, I also take it your term 'far leaning left' is a twist on the words extreme left, some of whom hold some of the most bigoted views around :suspect:

Archived