Schadenfreude: Which misfortune of others gives you pleasure?

I've just remembered that I started a thread with the same subject:

Some people believe in the concepts of Karma, Law of Return, or Heaven & Hell where there is some sort of supernatural balancing of one's actions and deeds.

It's a nice thought but I don't believe in those things, whilst I do accept the rational and humanist concept that you can you reap what you sow.

I do believe in coincidence though.

Yesterday morning I was driving to work when a chap stepped into the road some 10 yards in front. You know the sort, decided he was going to stay there, hardly moving, and stare at you as if your car shouldn't be on the road, arrogantly forcing you to slow to a halt, before skipping off with another "victory" under their belt.

Well imagine how my schadenfreude meter spiked when this chap turned up for a job interview yesterday afternoon. It was never mentioned, but I could tell that he recognised me and knew I recognised him, and realised he had already failed to get the job that he wanted.

Instant Karma?

Best one i have seen was a thug with a Molotov cocktail raise it up over his shoulder as if to throw it,unknown to him the petrol run out down his back and he caught fire, i close second was a rag head stood behind another one holding a shoulder rocket launcher,it was obvious to everyone except the poor fool what was going to happen next, who then lost his head -literally.

Originally Posted by quisquose View Post

Some people believe in the concepts of Karma, Law of Return, or Heaven & Hell where there is some sort of supernatural balancing of one's actions and deeds.

It's a nice thought but I don't believe in those things, whilst I do accept the rational and humanist concept that you can you reap what you sow.

I do believe in coincidence though.

Yesterday morning I was driving to work when a chap stepped into the road some 10 yards in front. You know the sort, decided he was going to stay there, hardly moving, and stare at you as if your car shouldn't be on the road, arrogantly forcing you to slow to a halt, before skipping off with another "victory" under their belt.

Well imagine how my schadenfreude meter spiked when this chap turned up for a job interview yesterday afternoon. It was never mentioned, but I could tell that he recognised me and knew I recognised him, and realised he had already failed to get the job that he wanted.

Instant Karma?

No not really, a candidate for a job should be judged on their suitability for the job, not their ability to cross a road.

A brother of a friend of mine was left by his wife (who we shall call wife 1) who was having an affair. The bloke she left him for left his own wife (who we shall call wife 2) but left her the house and plenty of money so as to smooth things over as best he could. While sorting out the divorce the brother got to know wife 2. They hit it off and he moved in with her. The house was much bigger than the one he had lived in with wife 1. Not long after, wife 2's lottery number won the jackpot and a nice 7 figure sum. She had been doing the same numbers since before her husband left her.

Best one i have seen was a thug with a Molotov cocktail raise it up over his shoulder as if to throw it,unknown to him the petrol run out down his back and he caught fire, i close second was a rag head stood behind another one holding a shoulder rocket launcher,it was obvious to everyone except the poor fool what was going to happen next, who then lost his head -literally.

Where did you see these things?

Archived