The line between discriminating and looking after your business

https://www.gov.uk/discrimination-your-rights/discrimination-at-work

You don't have the legal right to dictate to people what they ought to believe thank goodness or deny them work on the basis of their beliefs. How can you prove that your own beliefs are perfect and infalliable?

What you have posted is for if you are employed,no one has been employed yet?

How can one's ability be properly assessed by considering the points made by the OP alone?

If someone presented beleiving that the earth was flat, or that we were all controlled by reptilian lizards, I'd have sufficient to assess them as being unsuitable for the job thanks.

I think many posters disagreeing with the OP are missing the 'strong', 'extreme' etc. qualifiers in the OP:

Is there a line between discriminating against a potential employee and looking after your business?

Example, a vacant position comes up which requires the candidate to make sound decisions based on logic and evidence and I'm holding interviews.

If it comes up during the interview that the candidate holds strong illogical beliefs (ie extreme religious beliefs or some ridiculous conspiracy theory belief),

There is undoubtedly a line IMHO, and that line separates conventional beliefs (maybe illogical, e.g. deities, but non-objectionable by social standards/norms of the time, and as codified in non-discriminatory legislation) from extreme/irrational beliefs (which may be so extreme/irrational as to bring public order or even anti-terrorism legislation into play).

would it be discriminating to cross them off my list based on these beliefs or would I be within my rights to do so?
Grey area fraught with liabiltiy, pick a more suitable candidate and issue the polite/friendly 'thx for attending, but on this occasion etc.' letter to the nutcase.

If someone presented beleiving that the earth was flat, or that we were all controlled by reptilian lizards, I'd have sufficient to assess them as being unsuitable for the job thanks.

It depends on the job: geography teacher vs sign painter, for example (unless you catch him putting little unauthorised lizards in the corners of the signs).

You don't have the legal right to dictate to people what they ought to believe thank goodness or deny them work on the basis of their beliefs.

I don't want to dictate to anyone what they should believe. I'm just wondering if it's discriminating to refuse somebody a job because their strong illogical beliefs would indicate that they aren't suitable for the position.

It would be a similar situation to a non swimmer applying for a life-guard position, only not as clear cut.

How can you prove that your own beliefs are perfect and infalliable?

What do my beliefs have to do with anything?

Thanks for the link, this bit seems like it might apply..

Some forms of discrimination are only allowed if they’re needed for the way the organisation works, eg:

a Roman Catholic school restricting applications for admission of pupils to Catholics only

employing only women in a health centre for Muslim women

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 14:25 ----------

Is it not a case of conflicting beliefs..his/hers v yours?

No (which beliefs of mine would it conflict with?) it would be a case of

"this job requires you to make sound decisions based on logic and evidence, do please tell me about yourself"

"I'm 25, I like basketball and I have to be home every night at 6pm"

"Why do you have to be home by that time?"

"If I don't, the Galactic soul eater will get me"

"What leads you to believe that?"

"It's common knowledge amongst those of us who are true believers"

"Do you have any reason to believe this?"

"I don't need a reason, I know it to be true"

"How so?"

"If you believed, you'd understand"

".....right"

You being in the driving seat would surely give you precedence? Making it public may cause you problems though.
This is what I[m wondering, should it cause problems, if the candidate demonstrates that they aren't one for logic and evidence, which is the main requirement of the job

I don't want to dictate to anyone what they should believe. I'm just wondering if it's discriminating to refuse somebody a job because their strong illogical beliefs would indicate that they aren't suitable for the position.

It would be a similar situation to a non swimmer applying for a life-guard position, only not as clear cut.

What do my beliefs have to do with anything?

Thanks for the link, this bit seems like it might apply..

Just remember that this isn't some ideological game you're playing- by denying this person work based upon their beliefs you're removing their ability to make a living and potentially house, feed and clothe their children at a standard that their previous work and study determines them able.

You'd best be absolutely sure that this is about their ability to do the work and not about your own distate at their beliefs and if you can't be sure I'd defer the decision to someone who can.

Religious belief or lack of is a 'protected characteristic' legally, I'd seek legal advice if you want to actively discriminate against someone on this basis.

You don't have the legal right to dictate to people what they ought to believe thank goodness or deny them work on the basis of their beliefs. How can you prove that your own beliefs are perfect and infalliable?

to me that means that in a job focussing on evidence based logic would be exempt.

I think many posters disagreeing with the OP are missing the 'strong', 'extreme' etc. qualifiers in the OP:

There is undoubtedly a line IMHO, and that line separates conventional beliefs (maybe illogical, e.g. deities, but non-objectionable by social standards/norms of the time, and as codified in non-discriminatory legislation) from extreme/irrational beliefs (which may be so extreme/irrational as to bring public order or even anti-terrorism legislation into play).

Grey area fraught with liabiltiy, pick a more suitable candidate and issue the polite/friendly 'thx for attending, but on this occasion etc.' letter to the nutcase.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Just try to avoid using the word "nutcase" in the rejection letter. :hihi:

Archived