The line between discriminating and looking after your business

How can one's ability be properly assessed by considering the points made by the OP alone?

Let's say the job is working with young people, you don't want some nutcase ranting his illogical beliefs to easy led young people, in this his beliefs become a big part of the job and he could be assessed on those beliefs he holds.

Would you want Abu qatada working next to you ?, having to listen to destroy the west this and Allah that all day long ?

Absolutely employers will choose what suits them I would safeguard any of my business's from extreme views mild or no! Also from anyone that I don't think will fit in with how we work and most employers would say the same .

Again, I'm not talking simply talking about religious convictions, I'm talking about extremes that indicate they may not be suitable for the position.

Sure, in that case it's a no-brainer. The extreme nature of their belief system is having a real detrimental impact on their ability to function in the role. It doesn't matter so much *why* their ability to do the job is diminished, just that it is.

If that's discrimination, it's only discriminating on the grounds of a persons' ability to get the job done, and to the standard that you require.

I'm not really understanding how it's a problem. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I suppose there are also considerations such as what impact a person will have on company culture and how well they'll integrate and be an effective team member. Religious nut-jobs could well cause friction and upset in the workforce.

Absolutely employers will choose what suits them I would safeguard any of my business's from extreme views mild or no! Also from anyone that I don't think will fit in with how we work and most employers would say the same .
How are you going to know what their religious views are before you employ them, you would have had to ask them wouldn't you?

The NHS is the largest employer in the UK, would its employees have been asked for that information in a job interview- no they wouldn't!

How are you going to know what their religious views are before you employ them, you would have had to ask them wouldn't you?

The NHS is the largest employer in the UK, would its employees have been asked for that information in a job interview- no they wouldn't!

Unless the candidate volunteers this or other information themselves (see post#17)

Is there a line between discriminating against a potential employee and looking after your business?

Example, a vacant position comes up which requires the candidate to make sound decisions based on logic and evidence and I'm holding interviews.

If it comes up during the interview that the candidate holds strong illogical beliefs (ie extreme religious beliefs or some ridiculous conspiracy theory belief), would it be discriminating to cross them off my list based on these beliefs or would I be within my rights to do so?

Yes you would, but just don't mention that to them or the left leaning PC brigade on here who have little idea how difficult it is to run a business.

I would ask what their religious belief was and I think the NHS does also. There are usually give always when asking questions during interviews !

Unless the candidate volunteers this or other information themselves (see post#17)
Yes I've seen post 17. If the candidate volunteers the information without the employer introducing the subject then the employer would be quite right to question why the person had chosen to mention that detail and question further into their motives. And if I was that employer and had any suspicion that the person was some kind of loony or fanatic who would be a potential risk to the business I wouldn't employ them. Not sure how I would deal with it in the correct way though without already having a method of preparation in that situation.

I would ask what their religious belief was and I think the NHS does also. There are usually give always when asking questions during interviews !
No the NHS doesn't ask that question these days, and hasn't asked for a long time, at least not in any NHS trusts I am aware of, in the application process, of applying for a position of health care worker for instance.

It would be made clear on the job description file what the position was going to entail, and if the job was going to entail direct contact with patients, a code of conduct document would be supplied which would state clearly that the member of staff should respect every ones religious, non/religious, culture and race.

The employee should never impose their own beliefs on to others, and should keep their beliefs to themselves, unless in a situation where a patient or relative has approached the employee for some information, an example of that would be regarding the spiritual services available in the Hospital.

Archived