Nigel Farage Worse interview exposes UKIP policies

Though actually, I am not seeing that as a bad thing.

Nor do I think it entirely fair to say that Farage is emulating Hitler as this implies he is modelling himself on him, which I don't think is the case.

Sorry I ought to put more clearly what I mean- I don't mean he's going to act like Hitler and start exterminating people or anything. He's the leader of a far right party so it would be silly to suggest he's not aware of Hitler's leadership style, just as it would be silly to suggest that the leaders of the SWP aren't aware of Lenin or Stalin's leadership style. The idea of loose leadership with a strong general vision which promotes competition amongst party members that hold some form of office is a leadership style that Hitler pioneered and Farage seems to be emulating it. It's unusual in British politics which tends to favour the strong leader with a top down approach like Thatcher, which is why I thought it was worth mentioning.

Farage's party states at least that it is a liberal party so it could be very different to the totalitarian Nazi Party if it ever came to power. It would depend upon whether Farage harbours views of restoring Britain's Empire to solve our economic woes- if that's the case he's definately comparable to Hitler. He seems to be more in favour of engaging with the market and deregulation however at the moment.

It is pretty funny to see the various old party supporters trying to think up ways to put a positive spin on the disaster which just befell their party.

Dreaming up excuses and telling yourself it was all a mistake and that the electorate are all fools and couldn't see the true light that you follow.

Wake up and smell the coffee kids. It won't go away by trying to pretend it didn't happen.

There's no need for a positive spin. UKIP are going to come under greater scrutiny[1] and will have to justify their claims. They won't be able to do that - certainly not for their financial plans. Once the electorate see that, their support will shrink drastically.

[1] Quite rightly - they are hoping to help run the country.

By employing a loose form of leadership that allows his party members to interpret party policy for themselves as they see fit.

If you think Hitler had a loose form of leadership then look up the word Führerprinzip.

He's the leader of a far right party so it would be silly to suggest he's not aware of Hitler's leadership style...

Farage's party states at least that it is a liberal party so it could be very different to the totalitarian Nazi Party if it ever came to power. It would depend upon whether Farage harbours views of restoring Britain's Empire to solve our economic woes- if that's the case he's definately comparable to Hitler. He seems to be more in favour of engaging with the market and deregulation however at the moment.

UKIP is not far right and is anything but liberal. It's right-wing libertarian. I doubt if Farage harbours any intention of restoring Britain's Empire given that any attempt would start WW3 and the destruction of the UK. Attempting to reconquer India or Pakistan alone would trigger a nuclear response.

There's no need for a positive spin. UKIP are going to come under greater scrutiny[1] and will have to justify their claims. They won't be able to do that - certainly not for their financial plans. Once the electorate see that, their support will shrink drastically.

[1] Quite rightly - they are hoping to help run the country.

You make the mistake that most politically motivated people make. They assume everyone has the same interest in politics that they do. That is why most Labour supporters try to gloss over the debacle of Ed Miliband's recent interview where he tried to deny that his policies would require more borrowing and a hike in our debt levels.

The reality is the majority don't take that much interest. They have a 5 second attention span when it comes to the news, so whilst some folk (like you) who won't vote for Farage will scruntinize every last detail of his policy and tut tut on here to like minded political types, 90% of the country won't.

There is no doubt UKIp will make an impact at the next election because those 5 second windows allow folks to hear what they want to hear. By the time the oh buts start they have turned off and are back on the I-pad.

There is no doubt UKIp will make an impact at the next election because those 5 second windows allow folks to hear what they want to hear. By the time the oh buts start they have turned off and are back on the I-pad.

What they are likely to hear is more of the stuff that has surfaced in the last month or so.

A party like UKIP will have plenty of candidates with skeletons in their closets. The press will have a field day.

Add that to the fact that they really don't have any workable policies. That will make Farage's job dificult when he has to do proper political interviews.

That's what will be popping into the five second windows.

You make the mistake that most politically motivated people make. They assume everyone has the same interest in politics that they do. That is why most Labour supporters try to gloss over the debacle of Ed Miliband's recent interview where he tried to deny that his policies would require more borrowing and a hike in our debt levels.

The reality is the majority don't take that much interest. They have a 5 second attention span when it comes to the news, so whilst some folk (like you) who won't vote for Farage will scruntinize every last detail of his policy and tut tut on here to like minded political types, 90% of the country won't.

If 90% of country have a 5 second attention span as you suggest, why would Ed Milliband even try to deny that his policies would require more borrowing? Surely all politicians would be promising more spending and lower taxes without making an attempt to justify it.

It's really easy for the UKIP party, all they have to do is tell their electorate what they want to hear, I remember reading somewhere that their election pledges would cost the country an extra £130 billion a year! This is from a party that claims to be, as another poster has noted a right-wing libertarian party, that stands for small government!

At least UKIP have boldly allowed the policy of immigration to be discussed seriously and openly. This is what appeals to the electorate, while other parties for fear of being branded racist, always sweep under the carpet.

At least UKIP have boldly allowed the policy of immigration to be discussed seriously and openly. This is what appeals to the electorate, while other parties for fear of being branded racist, always sweep under the carpet.

But as with green issues in the 1990s when the Green party did so well in European elections, the main parties will make some noises, and even some changes, about it and the electorate will go back to voting for them.

But as with green issues in the 1990s when the Green party did so well in European elections, the main parties will make some noises, and even some changes, about it and the electorate will go back to voting for them.

I doubt it as this is a problem destined to stay unless action is taken regarding the issue. Especially deporting those who the government know shouldn't be here but don't have the resources to deal with the problem.

Archived