Nigel Farage Worse interview exposes UKIP policies

Though actually, I am not seeing that as a bad thing.

Nor do I think it entirely fair to say that Farage is emulating Hitler as this implies he is modelling himself on him, which I don't think is the case.

I agree, if we insist on having as many mps as we do, and pay them as much as we do, it's not unreasonable to ask them to think for themselves rather than trying desperately to remember what the leadership want them to say. This I like. That said, surely they have a limited shelf life. When/if there is a referendum over Europe and we all vote "out" they will cease to be wont they?

It's really easy for the UKIP party, all they have to do is tell their electorate what they want to hear, I remember reading somewhere that their election pledges would cost the country an extra £130 billion a year! This is from a party that claims to be, as another poster has noted a right-wing libertarian party, that stands for small government!

A bit like Labour around here. They can send a chimp out with a red rosette. No one takes any notice of the policies. They blindly vote for the chimp anyway. Didn't you?

By employing a loose form of leadership that allows his party members to interpret party policy for themselves as they see fit.

Differing interpretations of almost any policy can be made but that isn't what he is saying anyway, he's saying councillors can listen to the views of local people, and above all that's who they should represent.

Differing interpretations of almost any policy can be made but that isn't what he is saying anyway, he's saying councillors can listen to the views of local people, and above all that's who they should represent.

Yes it is pretty clear that the UKIP leadership haven't got a clue and really need advice from the experts Sheffield Forum. They didn't even manage 25% of the vote in Thursdays elections and only hold 15% of the UKs allocation of seats in the EU parliament.

I think it boils down to a few politically minded souls on here who had already counted their chickens and are now running short on Andrex.

I think it boils down to a few politically minded souls on here who had already counted their chickens and are now running short on Andrex.

Or maybe we've just seen protest parties before that were going to change the face of politics but didn't and we've yet to see anything different about UKIP.

Or maybe we've just seen protest parties before that were going to change the face of politics but didn't and we've yet to see anything different about UKIP.

That's what we need; complacency. Keep voting for the monkey with the red rosette and it'll all be fine.

That's what we need; complacency. Keep voting for the monkey with the red rosette and it'll all be fine.

I've never voted for anyone with a red rosette - monkey or otherwise.

I've pointed out why I don't think UKIP will succeed in becoming a permanent force in politics. I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens when the other parties start reacting to their current success and how UKIP cope when they really start getting questioned on their policies.

I've never voted for anyone with a red rosette - monkey or otherwise.

I've pointed out why I don't think UKIP will succeed in becoming a permanent force in politics. I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens when the other parties start reacting to their current success and how UKIP cope when they really start getting questioned on their policies.

Don't you think folk questioned their policies when they started picking up seats in the EU parliament?

UKIP knew they had arrived once folk started trying to brand them as racists etc. They got the others frightened. It is a bit more than a flash in the pan when a party starts picking up more than 20% of the vote. I'm no supporter of UKIP but that doesn't stop me recognising their success, unlike a lot on here. And that is half the battle.

Don't you think folk questioned their policies when they started picking up seats in the EU parliament?

UKIP knew they had arrived once folk started trying to brand them as racists etc. They got the others frightened. It is a bit more than a flash in the pan when a party starts picking up more than 20% of the vote. I'm no supporter of UKIP but that doesn't stop me recognising their success, unlike a lot on here. And that is half the battle.

I think you're right and that UKIP will be longer-lasting than the SDP and BNP. Whether they'll pick up seats in parliament and what they'll do then, as well as how they behave if they run any councils, is the real acid test for them. Opposition in the European Parliament and local councils alone won't get them anywhere.

Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. EU immigration into parts of England that haven't had much immigration in the past has stirred up a lot of people for whom the Tory Party is now no longer right-wing enough. Labour is still lacking credibility after its 13 years in governments and the Lib-Dems have lost their role as a protest party since becoming part of the coalition.

There is a role for UKIP to the right of the Tory Party to mop up that vote and as a protest party for everyone who's fed up with all 3 main parties regardless of their politics. They could carry on as they are now for years to come.

What will really test them is when they get to control a council or get some seats in parliament and try to create a coalition with a new Tory leader to the right of Cameron. At that point they'll be seen as what they are and lose their protest vote image. As long as they stay out of power they should do just fine.

I think you're right and that UKIP will be longer-lasting than the SDP and BNP. Whether they'll pick up seats in parliament and what they'll do then, as well as how they behave if they run any councils, is the real acid test for them. Opposition in the European Parliament and local councils alone won't get them anywhere.

Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. EU immigration into parts of England that haven't had much immigration in the past has stirred up a lot of people for whom the Tory Party is now no longer right-wing enough. Labour is still lacking credibility after its 13 years in governments and the Lib-Dems have lost their role as a protest party since becoming part of the coalition.

There is a role for UKIP to the right of the Tory Party to mop up that vote and as a protest party for everyone who's fed up with all 3 main parties regardless of their politics. They could carry on as they are now for years to come.

What will really test them is when they get to control a council or get some seats in parliament and try to create a coalition with a new Tory leader to the right of Cameron. At that point they'll be seen as what they are and lose their protest vote image. As long as they stay out of power they should do just fine.

Just about my thoughts entirely. However they will not be required to run a council until after the next election. Between then and now they have the perfect platform to pick up finance and support. They will likely have election TV allocation in 2015.

They will very likely pick up Westminster seats. With no party at the moment picking up the sort of support for an outright election win. They could be a very important player in a future coalition. Who knows. Scotland might be out of the equation by then and that would really stir up the mix.

Archived