Why is UKIP called racist by some?

I've heard it so many times, that UKIP is a racist party and those who vote for them are racists. Even our own PM has called UKIP closet racists. The word "fascists" has been used to describe Farage and his party, possibly more so on this very forum, but why?

What is it about UKIP that is racist? Can anyone explain? Is it just the words of some of their MEP's and now councillors? If so, how is what they say party policy? If so, you could say that Labour supported Saddam Hussein by what that odious toad George Galloway said to him in 1994.

What policies do they advocate that are racist? As from what I understand UKIP is the only party that denies membership to anyone who has been a member of the BNP or other racist parties.

I'm currently not a UKIP voter, so I'm neither defending them nor attacking them, but I would like to know what is it about UKIP that makes some of their opponents call them racists.

they have dared to tackle immigration, something that other parties shy away from.

listening to radio Sheffield all week about the Doncaster major election and most residents were complaining about the number of immigrants in the town, as do so many from Rotherham, Sheffield.

its a way for lab/lib/con voters and there respected parties of cheap point scoring. people need to stop throwing the racism card down at every opportunity when they hear something they don't like about immigrants. its a strong word and I don't see it as racism I see it as controlling the amount of immigrants that come to our small island in seek of work/benefits/housing ect ect.

Australia have very strong immigration poilicies, does that make the whole country racist.

that fact of the matter is we are a soft touch, we have neither the space or the resources to help the whole of the world who struggle with their own domestic problems.

Cynical people might suggest that the UKIP provides a vehicle to harness the BNP vote and bring it into the mainstream.

UKIP know this is an issue. It's why they need such a draconian membership procedure.

It doesn't mean the party is racist though. They're not even anti-immigration. Farage is currently reviewing their policy to have a 50,000 person annual cap. He's thinking of increasing it.

from the guardian which is a con/lib paper

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 10:16 ----------

the media will dress it up as anything the want you to see, depending on which party they are behind.

did you see the sun when Maggie thatcher died, 10 page pull out about how good she was for the country.

listening to radio Sheffield all week about the Doncaster major election and most residents were complaining about the number of immigrants in the town, as do so many from Rotherham, Sheffield.
I dont believe UKIP are necessarily racist, but herein lies the problem with many people who support them-"people were complaining about the number of immigrants in the town". How do you know someone's an immigrant merely by looking at them? You're effectively marking a whole group of people with a generalising brush-no better than the people who generalise about UKIP members as all being racists.

Ironically the population of Doncaster has changed little in the last 30 years (290,000 in 1981 compared to 291,000 in 2008 ). In 2007, 94% of the population described themselves as white, compared to the national average of 83%.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Images/C2_Demography.pdf

Australia have very strong immigration poilicies, does that make the whole country racist.

Rather ironic don't you think that those policies have been implemented by the descendants of immigrants?

that fact of the matter is we are a soft touch, we have neither the space or the resources to help the whole of the world who struggle with their own domestic problems.

Again, it's views like these that tar UKIP with the racist brush...the vast majority of immigrants come here to study or work. They're not all seeking help or fleeing their own 'domestic problems'. If you view all immigrants as refugees then you're ill informed, asylum seekers make up a tiny % of immigrant numbers.

Incidentally, I do believe immigration should be properly monitored and strictly controlled by the way.

Archived