Why is UKIP called racist by some?

No it doesn't, but she has form on this area. Becoming vituperative before the launch of her book. Check out her articlesd before the publication of Londonistan.

And wait for it, she's even launching new 'brand Melanie' in America. Complete with T Shirts, baseball hats and stationery. Wonder if the t shirts come readily foam flecked....?:loopy:

The former Tory Party chairman Lady Warsi had it right when she called her 'Mad Mel'.

That may be the case but I still take each comment on its own merits. I don't see how her statement that her family assimilated into British culture is any less valid just because of her opinions on other ethnic groups.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 14:52 ----------

That was precisely the point I was making.

Was it? sorry I mis-read your comments:D

That may be the case but I still take each comment on its own merits. I don't see how her statement that her family assimilated into British culture is any less valid just because of her opinions on other ethnic groups.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 14:52 ----------

Was it? sorry I mis-read your comments:D

Its a very good and open article.

For those who are yet to read it, here is its title: My immigrant family were proud to assimilate. I despair that too many today expect Britain to adopt THEIR culture

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320940/MELANIE-PHILLIPS-Too-immigrants-today-expect-Britain-adopt-THEIR-culture.html#ixzz2ShddQqoK

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That's Ms Philips view of things. She like many in UKIP are highly selective in their view of multiculturalism.

They will lampoon what they see as political correctness of councils catering to the needs minority communities. But just you try suggesting that faith schools like Catholic and Jewish schools should be abolished, and children of all faiths should be educated together you'll soon see the desire of the host community to assimilate drain away....Then of course nobody talks about multiculturalsim, they talk about 'parent choice'

Similarly with 'white flight', people who complain about cultures not willing to mix, as soon as an area has a few more families of different cultural backgrounds moving in, the host community complain about certain minority groups 'taking over' and move to different parts of the country.

I know London and Luton quite well but not Aldershot or Peterborough, but Im not sure what you want the immigrants in those communities to do..they're presumably serving the people around them, but I'm not sure it's such a good example of a lack of integration..immigrants over time improve themselves and move to more affluent areas as they do so.

I was driving through Hyson Green in Nottingham not so long ago, 30 years ago it was almost exclusively a black area with the the shops and businesses reflecting that. More recently it was predominantly Asian, so I was surprised on my drive through that the Asian corner shops had been replaced by ones sporting a signs in what I think was Polish! The Asians and blacks have largely gone and the white East Europeans moved in and changed the scenery to suit their needs. That's what happens, the immigrants we see today arent the same ones we saw years ago but they will naturally gravitate to areas of cheap housing and where they're likely to encounter familiarity..you can imagine they wouldn't believe moving en masse to Dore or Ranmoor or Parson Cross that they'd be met by friendly faces.

It must be weight of numbers that is encouraging immigrants to sell "inwardly" (and in that regard I don't really blame them) but that in turn encourages greater concentrations of newcomers which existing residents (of all backgrounds) find unnerving, particularly in some places. East London has had several, ever changing clusters of immigrants since the year dot with mostly a success. But for others it's a massive culture shock - lets face it, the likes of Lincolnshire and Norfolk aren't known for their deep gene pools. To have a load of Welsh or scots turn up 20 years would freak them out - but foreigners!?!? It's not a surprise theyve been knocked sideways. Yes they should welcome them all I suppose, but they aren't the ones who have asked for immigration on this scale - they're on the front line. For better or worse their town or village centre looked, bar the odd curry house, English and now in some places it really doesn't.

That's Ms Philips view of things. She like many in UKIP are highly selective in their view of multiculturalism.

They will lampoon what they see as political correctness of councils catering to the needs minority communities. But just you try suggesting that faith schools like Catholic and Jewish schools should be abolished, and children of all faiths should be educated together you'll soon see the desire of the host community to assimilate drain away....Then of course nobody talks about multiculturalsim, they talk about 'parent choice'

Similarly with 'white flight', people who complain about cultures not willing to mix, as soon as an area has a few more families of different cultural backgrounds moving in, the host community complain about certain minority groups 'taking over' and move to different parts of the country.

But again, I dont see why other comments about other issues invalidate what she has written.

On your second comments, have you actually lived in a community where one ethnic group has moved in and every white person has left? No, and why? Because they don't exist. There is always distrust, in the same way if a white person moves into a predominantly ethnic neighborhood. I lived in a village that was 99.99% white. We had about 2 asian families thats it. Out of my entire school there was 2-3 black pupils and 3-4 asian. But there was no exodus from the villages where the asian families moved. What you are stating as fact is an urban myth.

But for others it's a massive culture shock - lets face it, the likes of Lincolnshire and Norfolk aren't known for their deep gene pools. To have a load of Welsh or scots turn up 20 years would freak them out - but foreigners!?!? It's not a surprise theyve been knocked sideways. Yes they should welcome them all I suppose, but they aren't the ones who have asked for immigration on this scale - they're on the front line. For better or worse their town or village centre looked, bar the odd curry house, English and now in some places it really doesn't.

Yes I broadly agree tfh, that situation without careful planning and consultation wouldn't help anybody. Whilst it would be advantageous that newcomers were welcomed with open arms it's an unrealistic expectation and understandable in the scenario you describe. I would hope though that at worse the locals would be ambivalent and not outwardly hostile.

When them values involve mutilating young girls,

Surely the issue of female genital mutilation is a problem that needs to be tackled by education and legislation. It's not a reason to ban or limit immigration.

practising witchcraft

Practising witchcraft is perfectly legal and isn't confined to any particular race or culture.

and other backward stuff

Such as?

I think you dislike foreigners and are looking for a rather feeble framework to prop yourself up.

Yes I broadly agree tfh, that situation without careful planning and consultation wouldn't help anybody. Whilst it would be advantageous that newcomers were welcomed with open arms it's an unrealistic expectation and understandable in the scenario you describe. I would hope though that at worse the locals would be ambivalent and not outwardly hostile.

I think in small numbers (or perceived small numbers - for all the hoohah in Peterborough the numbers aren't THAT high) its novelty value or ambivilance - probably the latter. I refer to aldershot (again, sorry!!!) where you Gurkhas in smallish numbers along with loads of other nationalities realitivly painlessly. Then Joanna lumley ties up a flustered Gordon brown with silk scarves and wallop, every Gurkha who served after 97 (and his family) can stay here. A more deserving group I can't imagine. Even the daily mail didnt mind. But nobody in aldershot was really prepared for the impact. It's being remedied to a degree and it's quite a specific case with quite a specific group of people but swap the ethnic group and town (and in fairness slightly lower numbers) and its more common in the shires than it was - I guess its one of things that seperated market towns from the bigger uk cities (like Nottingham) that have always had pockets of immigrants.

Ooo - link about aldershot. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18514425

Archived