Why is UKIP called racist by some?

I've heard it so many times, that UKIP is a racist party and those who vote for them are racists. Even our own PM has called UKIP closet racists. The word "fascists" has been used to describe Farage and his party, possibly more so on this very forum, but why?

What is it about UKIP that is racist? Can anyone explain? Is it just the words of some of their MEP's and now councillors? If so, how is what they say party policy? If so, you could say that Labour supported Saddam Hussein by what that odious toad George Galloway said to him in 1994.

What policies do they advocate that are racist? As from what I understand UKIP is the only party that denies membership to anyone who has been a member of the BNP or other racist parties.

I'm currently not a UKIP voter, so I'm neither defending them nor attacking them, but I would like to know what is it about UKIP that makes some of their opponents call them racists.

It’s just the bigoted opinion of morons. :)

I dont believe UKIP are necessarily racist, but herein lies the problem with many people who support them-"people were complaining about the number of immigrants in the town". How do you know someone's an immigrant merely by looking at them? You're effectively marking a whole group of people with a generalising brush-no better than the people who generalise about UKIP members as all being racists.

Ironically the population of Doncaster has changed little in the last 30 years (290,000 in 1981 compared to 291,000 in 2008 ). In 2007, 94% of the population described themselves as white, compared to the national average of 83%.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Images/C2_Demography.pdf

Rather ironic don't you think that those policies have been implemented by the descendants of immigrants?

Again, it's views like these that tar UKIP with the racist brush...the vast majority of immigrants come here to study or work. They're not all seeking help or fleeing their own 'domestic problems'. If you view all immigrants as refugees then you're ill informed, asylum seekers make up a tiny % of immigrant numbers.

Incidentally, I do believe immigration should be properly monitored and strictly controlled by the way.

You're making the assumption that people only assume other people are migrants based on just looking at them. I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but foreigners tend to speak another language. People have ears as well as eyes don't you know.

You're making the assumption that people only assume other people are migrants based on just looking at them. I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but foreigners tend to speak another language.

... and have shifty looking eyes, and smell like cabbage.

;)

You're making the assumption that people only assume other people are migrants based on just looking at them. I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but foreigners tend to speak another language. People have ears as well as eyes don't you know.

And that being the case do you really believe the numbers of people speaking a foreign language in Doncaster is even noteworthy?

Have a read of the document I linked to, Doncaster is in serious trouble because of population movements away and the decline in that population of working age. Here's an extract:

Although Doncaster’s growth rate figures have been consistent with that of the rest

of South Yorkshire over the last 30 years (0.28%), this trend is not set to continue,

mainly due to the combined effects of Doncaster’s low to negative natural population

growth and low net inward migration rate.

In general, this will lead to; more people claiming benefits, fewer working taxpayers,

increased healthcare demand and a proportionately smaller workforce.

Unless and until Doncaster is able to retain more of its youth, it will need to augment

its resident workforce with commuters and migrants."

And that being the case do you really believe the numbers of people speaking a foreign language in Doncaster is even noteworthy?

Have a read of the document I linked to, Doncaster is in serious trouble because of population movements away and the decline in that population of working age. Here's an extract:

I don't know, I'd leave that for the people of Doncaster to decide, they seem to be raising it as an issue they are concerned about though.

Although Doncaster’s growth rate figures have been consistent with that of the rest

of South Yorkshire over the last 30 years (0.28%), this trend is not set to continue,

mainly due to the combined effects of Doncaster’s low to negative natural population growth and low net inward migration rate.

In general, this will lead to; more people claiming benefits, fewer working taxpayers,

increased healthcare demand and a proportionately smaller workforce.

Unless and until Doncaster is able to retain more of its youth, it will need to augment

its resident workforce with commuters and migrants."

More people claiming benefits, some people leaving and few people migrating to Doncaster, would imply there aren't enough jobs in Doncaster for the people in Doncaster.

So more people in Doncaster would mean even more people on benefits in Doncaster.

I've heard it so many times, that UKIP is a racist party and those who vote for them are racists. Even our own PM has called UKIP closet racists. The word "fascists" has been used to describe Farage and his party, possibly more so on this very forum, but why?

What is it about UKIP that is racist? Can anyone explain? Is it just the words of some of their MEP's and now councillors? If so, how is what they say party policy? If so, you could say that Labour supported Saddam Hussein by what that odious toad George Galloway said to him in 1994.

What policies do they advocate that are racist? As from what I understand UKIP is the only party that denies membership to anyone who has been a member of the BNP or other racist parties.

I'm currently not a UKIP voter, so I'm neither defending them nor attacking them, but I would like to know what is it about UKIP that makes some of their opponents call them racists.

who cares? they are a joke party who will go the same way as the BNP...into oblivion

I dont believe UKIP are necessarily racist, but herein lies the problem with many people who support them-"people were complaining about the number of immigrants in the town". How do you know someone's an immigrant merely by looking at them? You're effectively marking a whole group of people with a generalising brush-no better than the people who generalise about UKIP members as all being racists.

Ironically the population of Doncaster has changed little in the last 30 years (290,000 in 1981 compared to 291,000 in 2008 ). In 2007, 94% of the population described themselves as white, compared to the national average of 83%.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Images/C2_Demography.pdf

Rather ironic don't you think that those policies have been implemented by the descendants of immigrants?

we are talking hundreds of years ago when the country had the resources to cope with immigration, if they opened up their ports to Malaysians/Asians what mass effect would it have on the country in the long run. who knows? but its a route they don't want to take and the whole world respects that. why is it different here.

Again, it's views like these that tar UKIP with the racist brush...the vast majority of immigrants come here to study or work. They're not all seeking help or fleeing their own 'domestic problems'. If you view all immigrants as refugees then you're ill informed, asylum seekers make up a tiny % of immigrant numbers.

views like what? again you are throwing the racism card straight in, I have nothing against helping others out, but the fact of the matter is we will not cope in the long run, mass immigration and differing religious beliefs into one big melting pot (the uk) doesn't work, there will always be friction, which there is today. is that my fault, no, its a fact. if white Christian americans started coming into the country in thousands my belief would still be the same.

stop throwing the colour card into the mix when there simply is no need.

Incidentally, I do believe immigration should be properly monitored and strictly controlled by the way.

which is the point some people are trying to make, but get shot down with being called a racist.

why don't lid/lab/con concentrate on there own agendas and leave UKIP to fail on their own, instead of attacking them with what is fast becoming a very cheap shot

I don't know, I'd leave that for the people of Doncaster to decide, they seem to be raising it as an issue they are concerned about though.

Which is partly my point, if they're UKIP supporters and base their indignation about immigration over a few foreign speakers they might bump into in Doncaster what conclusions is the casual observer going to draw?

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 11:07 ----------

which is the point some people are trying to make, but get shot down with being called a racist.

why don't lid/lab/con concentrate on there own agendas and leave UKIP to fail on their own, instead of attacking them with what is fast becoming a very cheap shot

Sorry Ron77 you need to fix the quotes in your post, I cant follow it.

By the way, it's an extremely cheap shot to accuse me of throwing the 'race card' when I've argued my point based on facts and even opened my post by saying I don't believe UKIP is inherently racist, so why bring the tone of the debate down to the gutter?

Archived