Why is UKIP called racist by some?

Going by my experience in Meadowhall yesterday, I would say its down to dress and language spoken. Its not a guarantee, but it does make people stand out and appear to be foreign. Now if you keep seeing people dressed in clothes from other cultures and hearing them speak foreign languages, its a fair assumption to make that they are possibly foreign.

But what it doesn't tell you is who they are, where they were born or why they are here.

If you walk down Kensington High Street you'll see people wearing peculiar clothes and speaking a foreign language..they'll also be the ones buying million pound townhouses, Ferraris and shopping for trinkets at Graffs..but that tells me bugger all about their character.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 13:42 ----------

One of UKIP's policies say they will “End support for multiculturalism and promote one, common British culture”.

I'd be interested to hear how they think they might do this.

It'll be that warm beer and Morris dancing ting again! :hihi:

One of UKIP's policies say they will “End support for multiculturalism and promote one, common British culture”.

I'd be interested to hear how they think they might do this.

I suppose they could start by stopping the funding of community centres for specific ethnic groups.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 13:56 ----------

But what it doesn't tell you is who they are, where they were born or why they are here.

I never said it was scientific :P Just that, those kinds of experience lead me to think these people are not British. But then again, a french accent would not make me think you are British either and making that kind of assumption is not baseless.

If you walk down Kensington High Street you'll see people wearing peculiar clothes and speaking a foreign language..they'll also be the ones buying million pound townhouses, Ferraris and shopping for trinkets at Graffs..but that tells me bugger all about their character.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 13:42 ----------

It'll be that warm beer and Morris dancing ting again! :hihi:

I think that last line is simplifying it a bit. I found myself, not for the first time, lost in an unfamiliar town, which wasn't that big. The shops were selling colourful Asian saris, a few restaurants selling curry and Thai and more besides (cracking pizza place!!), lots of signs in languages I didn't understand - and people talking in languages I didn't understand. It wasn't threatening or offensive, but wasn't very English.

I think that might be the problem for alot of peole who are opposed to immigration rather than Morris dancing oppotunities.

I think that last line is simplifying it a bit. I found myself, not for the first time, lost in an unfamiliar town, which wasn't that big. The shops were selling colourful Asian saris, a few restaurants selling curry and Thai and more besides (cracking pizza place!!), lots of signs in languages I didn't understand - and people talking in languages I didn't understand. It wasn't threatening or offensive, but wasn't very English.

I think that might be the problem for alot of peole who are opposed to immigration rather than Morris dancing oppotunities.

It was a joke tfh!

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 14:10 ----------

I never said it was scientific :P Just that, those kinds of experience lead me to think these people are not British. But then again, a french accent would not make me think you are British either and making that kind of assumption is not baseless.

I agree, but my main objection was to the people in Doncaster who in some way are rattled by their immigrant population, which is miniscule!

It was a joke tfh!

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 14:10 ----------

I agree, but my main objection was to the people in Doncaster who in some way are rattled by their immigrant population, which is miniscule!

Can't say I've noticed this.

Which is partly my point, if they're UKIP supporters and base their indignation about immigration over a few foreign speakers they might bump into in Doncaster what conclusions is the casual observer going to draw?

It doesn't have to be a local issue for it to be an issue affecting the country. There might not be many migrants in Doncaster, but even they may be able to understand that having a massive oversupply of labour across the country as a whole is not a good idea.

Can't say I've noticed this.

It was this sentiment in an earlier post that I've been referring to

listening to radio Sheffield all week about the Doncaster major election and
most residents were complaining about the number of immigrants in the town
, as do so many from Rotherham, Sheffield.

Quick question(s):

What stats are you using to come to the conclusion Doncasters immigrant population is miniscule? And how do you know this a big deal in Doncaster?

I'm in Doncaster all the time and its nothing like Sheffield for "obvious" immigrants.

Quick question(s):

What stats are you using to come to the conclusion Doncasters immigrant population is miniscule? And how do you know this a big deal in Doncaster?

I'm in Doncaster all the time and its nothing like Sheffield for "obvious" immigrants.

Ethnic breakdown of England and Wales mapped

Doncaster

Total pop (000s): 290.1

% White, British: 93.209

% White Irish: 0.483

% White, other: 1.241

% Mixed: 1.034

% Asian or Asian British: 2.172

% Black or Black British: 1.034

% Chinese: 0.517

% Other: 0.379

Sheffield