Caffeine energy drinks

What are you going to do if (when!) she moves on to alcohol?

It was her friends empty cans, she said. I wil discuss it with her later. It will be a good learning experience, alcohol is hopefully a long way off.

What harm does caffeine actually cause children?

It depends on the dosage. From searches, it looks like these energy drinks have similar caffeine content to coke. Which is not good, in my opinion, but not a disaster.

If they do boost energy levels, then there will be a after effect. Better to boost your own energy levels by doing more exercise.

Some energy drinks do contain way too much caffeine, how to regulate their sale is a matter of opinion.

What harm does caffeine actually cause children?

Heres a few:

How Caffeine Affects Kids

A stimulant that affects kids and adults similarly, caffeine is a drug too much caffeine can cause:

jitteriness and nervousness

upset stomach

headaches

difficulty concentrating

difficulty sleeping

increased heart rate

increased blood pressure

Especially in young kids, it doesn't take a lot of caffeine to produce these effects.

Kids who consume one or more 12-ounce (355-milliliter) sweetened soft drink per day are 60% more likely to be obese.

Not only do caffeinated beverages contain empty calories (calories that don't provide any nutrients), but kids who fill up on them don't get the vitamins and minerals they need from healthy sources, putting them at risk for nutritional deficiencies. In particular, kids may miss getting the calcium they need from milk to build strong bones and teeth.

Drinking too many sweetened caffeinated drinks could lead to dental cavities (or caries) from the high sugar content and the erosion of tooth enamel from acidity. : One 12-ounce carbonated soft drink contains the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar (49 milliliters) and 150 calories.

Caffeine is a diuretic that causes the body to eliminate water (through urinating), which may contribute to dehydration. Whether the amount of caffeine in beverages is enough to actually cause dehydration is not clear, however. It may depend on whether the person drinking the beverage is used to caffeine and how much caffeine was consumed that day. To be on the safe side, it's wise to avoid excessive caffeine consumption in hot weather, when kids need to replace water lost through perspiration.

Abruptly stopping caffeine may cause withdrawal symptoms (headaches, muscle aches, temporary depression, and irritability), especially for those who are used to consuming a lot.

Caffeine can aggravate heart problems or nervous disorders, and some kids may not be aware that they're at risk.

She is 12, she is talller than some adults tho. Having looked at wiki, the ammount of caffeine in these drinks is only similar to some cokes. Although still not a good idea to take drinks with caffeine in.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 14:08 ----------

I will talk to her about it. But being a working parent, I cannot order her to stop.

Does working mean that she doesn't do what she's told? Of course you can order her to stop.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 08:24 ----------

Maybe you could talk to her and explain why you don't like her drinking them.

There are people at work who have two or three in a day. I sometimes think "you're sat on a chair all day long - how much energy do you need?".

Would you say that to someone drinking coffee?

Hi

I have noticed that my daughter is drinking caffeine energy drinks. It says on the can, 'not suitable for children'.

Dont shops have a duty to know what and to who they are selling? I am the first one to have a go at large supermarkets, but this is small shops, I think.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/health-fitness/concerns-over-energy-drink-health-1863059

Parents also have a duty to look after their children, knowing what they're doing and what they're putting into their bodies.

Parents also have a duty to look after their children, knowing what they're doing and what they're putting into their bodies.

Parents need to let their children learn, they dont learn if you order them to do things. It does depend on their age and what it is they are doing. Drinking alcohol at the age of 12 might be more serious than a legally bought fizzy drink.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 08:38 ----------

Does working mean that she doesn't do what she's told?

I am sure all growing children rebel as they grow older, working means that we have less time together and she has other influences outside of my control.

I've never heard a parent declare before that they are powerless to set the rules simply because they work.

I dont have the time to give you a full history of my circumstances, working is just one downside of being a single parent. Having your child go to the other parent, who may not share your values is also important.

Archived