Drones to be deployed to monitor illegal foxhunts

UK police state taking about step forward ?

With some people even waving it forward ?

The article's not about the police using drones, it's about activists using them. This is comparable to activists using drones to monitor the police kettling demonstrations. Or, as an example that fits your agenda, think of Palestinians using them to gather evidence of Israeli military brutality.

By the time you'd got to that stage, you wouldn't be aware of your condition.

No.I'd hope to recognise the inevitable sooner than that!

And if you weren't aware of your condition by then,then you might aswell be locked up in a room.That would make it cheaper for the government.

Here's your evidence:

Taken from the first line of the article I provided:

http://news.sky.com/story/1085308/gp...ients-barbaric

Fair enough. One police force has bought 15 tags to be used with, if the quote is to believed at the bottom of the sky article, to only be used with the families consent. And it will save money. Does it make any of it a bad idea? Not for me. I'll have a look at both articles to see what the Alzheimer's society think rather than a group in all honesty I've never heard of.

On a seperate note, you mentioned in jest tagging teenagers. Alot of them are already "tagged" by carrying mobile phones which police use, as i understand (from cop shows!!)to track missing people. Is this something you'd like to see outlawed as well?

Fair enough. One police force has bought 15 tags to be used with, if the quote is to believed at the bottom of the sky article, to only be used with the families consent. And it will save money. Does it make any of it a bad idea? Not for me. I'll have a look at both articles to see what the Alzheimer's society think rather than a group in all honesty I've never heard of.

Same here

On a seperate note, you mentioned in jest tagging teenagers. Alot of them are already "tagged" by carrying mobile phones which police use, as i understand (from cop shows!!)to track missing people. Is this something you'd like to see outlawed as well?

Parents can do it to, the apps are out there :suspect:

If anything, that link you've provided only makes you look more paranoid

That wasn't us to begin with, it was German Nazis

Actually it was a British man who first invented the idea of eugenics:

http://www.newstatesman.com/society/2010/12/british-eugenics-disabled

And it wasn't just the Nazi's that dehumanised disabled people, it was most of Europe:

...as early as 1907 American states passed compulsory sterilisation laws covering people thought to have genetic illnesses or conditions. European states that followed suit in the 1920s and 1930s included Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary and Turkey. In Nazi Germany sterilisation was followed by an active killing program, which started in 1939.

I know that attitudes to disabled people have changed for the better since the end of World War 2, and that this has largely been led by Britain, but I don't think we can guarantee that these attitudes won't arise again in the future if we begin the process of dehumanising them in this new way. It's better to look for solutions that put the patient's rights and welfare first.

Actually it was a British man who first invented the idea of eugenics:

http://www.newstatesman.com/society/2010/12/british-eugenics-disabled

And it wasn't just the Nazi's that dehumanised disabled people, it was most of Europe:

I know that attitudes to disabled people have changed for the better since the end of World War 2, and that this has largely been led by Britain, but I don't think we can guarantee that these attitudes won't arise again in the future if we begin the process of dehumanising them in this new way. It's better to look for solutions that put the patient's rights and welfare first.

Yeah, a British man thought up selective breeding. I can't see anything in that article about him killing disabled people or even condoning it, which is what you were talking about.

I really think you're getting carried away comparing all these articles to locating bracelets being worn for the patients' own safety, saving money at the same time.

Yeah, a British man thought up selective breeding. I can't see anything in that article about him killing disabled people or even condoning it, which is what you were talking about.

I really think you're getting carried away comparing all these articles to locating bracelets being worn for the patients' own safety, saving money at the same time.

Roots, go back to my original post (number 13). I'm not arguing that putting tags on dementia patients is the main issue here, I'm arguing that it's just one example of at least 4 cases this week of civil liberties being eroded in favour of increased surveillance and loss of privacy.

Roots, go back to my original post (number 13). I'm not arguing that putting tags on dementia patients is the main issue here, I'm arguing that it's just one example of at least 4 cases this week of civil liberties being eroded in favour of increased surveillance and loss of privacy.

But you are arguing against it, or at the very least using it as an example of erosion of civil liberties when it is nothing of the sort.

But social progress has always been made by breaking bad laws. Not all laws are right.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 14:50 ----------

Americans are already working against the deployment of drones in their country - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiWuc5Budqk

The law doesn't change just because you are on horseback

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/8834871/the-law-doesnt-change-just-because-youre-on-horseback/

I've not suggested we outlaw anything. :confused: We have more than enough laws already.

I think if smartphones had come with a label stating "Warning: This device is programmed with the ability to monitor your every movement by the police" far, far fewer would have been sold. It only came out quite a few years after the boom in sales that they had this program hidden within them.

Personally, I don't have one and I wouldn't buy one for anyone else.

Archived