Drones to be deployed to monitor illegal foxhunts

Both I suppose. Why do people get so exited about the subject?

I get excited because it's another old British tradition wiped out.

But I suppose it's like Winston Churchill said of the traditions of the Royal Navy:

"Rum, sodomy and the lash"

Some things have to go.

I get excited because it's another old British tradition wiped out.

But I suppose it's like Winston Churchill said of the traditions of the Royal Navy:

"Rum, sodomy and the lash"

Some things have to go.

It doesn't have to go, they can hunt away as much as they want with a drag line. Its just that nothing gets killed when the dogs catch it.

I am still trying to wok out why you equate alcohol, buggery and flagellation with horse riding?

Don't do anything illegal then.

Until the state makes something you love doing illegal.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 13:15 ----------

Just this week we've had:

Dementia patients to be tagged with GPS tracking devices:

http://news.sky.com/story/1085308/gps-tags-for-dementia-patients-barbaric

Smartphones to be turned into debit cards so that you can be targeted by advertising as you walk past a store and tracked via your access to the internet:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/28/mobile-phone-networks-electronic-wallet

http://www.policymic.com/articles/33975/how-your-mobile-phone-can-spy-on-you-thanks-to-the-fbi

The government installing a fake version of Mozilla Firefox onto people's computers so they can literally sit in your living room/ office and spy on what you're up to:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/10032822/Mozilla-furious-as-disguised-spyware-used-against-pro-democracy-activists.html

and you're all here welcoming the use of drones. (Apart from Nagel, who's always been one of the more sensible and informed posters on this forum). It's a steady drip drip of intrusive state and corporate surveillance technology into our society. It affects everyone, not just criminals and one day, in the not too distant future it will affect you. Perhaps they'll want to build on your favourite play area as a kid, you have a sentimental attachment to it and so you peacefully protest against it, it makes you an automatic target for extra surveillance. By then though it will be too late for you to do anything about it. You'll turn to people for help and you'll receive the stupid brick wall answer- 'well don't do anything illegal then', the point is, you don't need to.

It's not about criminality, that's just how the government/ corporations are selling it to you, it's about your ability to live in a reasonably free society; your right to a private life, free from state intrusion; your right to participate in and, where necessary, criticise the democratic process; your right to not be spyed on in your home unless the government has evidence that you've done something wrong. Allowing this technology in targets everybody, it assumes everyone is suspect and that it's just a matter of time before they catch you, it dehumanises the whole population. It's a very dangerous position for those at the bottom of the power pyramid to be in because those in power above you, having to deal with society en masse, don't recognise that you're an individual, they lump you in with everyone else and automatically see you as a potential problem that might need dealing with.

Would you be happy with a member of the Secret Service and the bosses of all major corporations moving into your home with you, following you to the office, to the shops, on holiday and taking notes on you the whole while to send back to their respective head offices? If the answers no then you really need to start making your voice heard now.

I think a lot of people on here are that opinionated and quick to attack each other, that they sometimes fail to see the bigger picture.

Most people would have just read 'monitor illegal foxhunts' and instantly thought' "foxhunting BAD!"............and jumped onto the band wagon.

I totally disagree with foxhunting but totally agree with you Cavegirl. These drones shouldn't be used to monitor public behavior. Before we know it, we'll all be assigned our own proposal drone to follow us round.

Why doesn't our government stop cutting our services so we can afford to actually police for such events instead?

Until the state makes something you love doing illegal.

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 13:15 ----------

I think a lot of people on here are that opinionated and quick to attack each other, that they sometimes fail to see the bigger picture.

Most people would have just read 'monitor illegal foxhunts' and instantly thought' "foxhunting BAD!"............and jumped onto the band wagon.

I totally disagree with foxhunting but totally agree with you Cavegirl. These drones shouldn't be used to monitor public behavior. Before we know it, we'll all be assigned our own proposal drone to follow us round.

Why doesn't our government stop cutting our services so we can afford to actually police for such events instead?

Your argument is that if the state legislates to stop you doing "something you love" you should continue to do it?

That being the case I love bear baiting, dog fighting, involuntary dwarf throwing, incest and bigamy.

I was discussing with a friend the other day how useful drones could be for monitoring the police on crowd control, or how long council workers are taking on tea-breaks...

Fantastic idea! We could monitor the state.....drone wars?

What's your opinion on the activists following the hunt around with camcorders and camera phones on foot or other transport?

Why on earth should taxpayers pay for such a sport to be policed? Or any sport for that matter?

I think "it begins".

Drones being pushed through the back passage under the guise of catching fox hunters.

Although I'm not in favor of fox hunting how much is it going to cost for some dude getting paid to play with his joystick as the government takes your money to mass manufacture and mass advertise their benefits ready for deployment on the streets.

How long is it going to take before they outsource the drone operating contracts to India.

On the up side, they will make good target practice for the kids.

Archived