Leading Tory Nigel Evans arrested for rape and sexual assault

Your constant references to homosexuality are most disingenuous to say the least.

Heterosexuality as never been illegal or described in the same way as paedophilia, homosexuality as, it was once considered to be worse than having sex with a child; it still is in many parts of the world.

I don’t agree with that point but it is relevant to the discussion.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 18:26 ----------

Having read the arguments against anonymity for people accused of a crime, I've changed my stance, as I now see the usefulness of publicity, in the case of more serious crimes such as murder, rape and other violent crimes against the person. Thanks for educating me, some of the reasons I admit had not occurred to me before.

Should the title of this thread now be changed or the thread split off, as it's been off topic practically since Post 33, and I think Nigel Evans has enough problems with the reasons for his arrest without it being confused with paedophilia?

I agree and I sorry for allowing myself to be drawn into this discussion by the member that posted post 33..

Heterosexuality as never been illegal or described in the same way as paedophilia, homosexuality as, it was once considered to be worse than having sex with a child; it still is in many parts of the world.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 18:26 ----------

I agree and I sorry for allowing myself to be drawn into this discussion by the member that posted post 33..

That is not true about heterosexuality, certain sex acts were once considered an abomination and at one time were illegal.

Your references to homosexuality imply that we need to be more enlightened in our thinking and legitimise, accept and tolerate "paedophilia".

As a gay man I find equating homosexuality to child abuse offensive and devious.

Child abuse is about coercing someone too young to give their consent either by sheer power or persuasion into sex - homosexuality is about men or women being attracted to the same sex, and having consensual sex

As a gay man I find equating homosexuality to child abuse offensive and devious.

Child abuse is about coercing someone too young to give their consent either by sheer power or persuasion into sex - homosexuality is about men or women being attracted to the same sex, and having consensual sex

I agree. Consensual is they key word here and I find this constant drawing of parallels at worst, sinister and at best disingenuous. It's a totally flawed argument in my view.

Yes..but in the 13th century...blah blah

That is not true about heterosexuality, certain sex acts were once considered an abomination and at one time were illegal.

Heterosexuality is a sexual attraction to persons of the opposite sex and has never been illegal, Heterosexuality is nothing to do with how you have sex.

Your references to homosexuality imply that we need to be more enlightened in our thinking and legitimise, accept and tolerate "paedophilia".

We should never tolerate the acts of child abuse, but we can tolerate the person that unfortunately as to live their life sexually attracted to the wrong group of people. Ostracising and Intolerance serves no purpose and does more harm than good.

Heterosexuality is a sexual attraction to persons of the opposite sex and has never been illegal, Heterosexuality is nothing to do with how you have sex.

We should never tolerate the acts of child abuse, but we can tolerate the person that unfortunately as to live their life sexually attracted to the wrong group of people. Ostracising and Intolerance serves no purpose and does more harm than good.

So we welcome them in and tolerate them..in the mean time what about the potential victim?

Help is available to these "unfortunates". It's down to them to seek it if they want to change and are fearful of crossing the line from fantasy to abusing children. Even though in my experience they are already consumers of indecent images so by default are engaged in and facilitating child abuse.

What is your experience in this field of which display take such a keen interest? You still haven't answered this question.

Having read the arguments against anonymity for people accused of a crime, I've changed my stance, as I now see the usefulness of publicity, in the case of more serious crimes such as murder, rape and other violent crimes against the person. Thanks for educating me, some of the reasons I admit had not occurred to me before.

Should the title of this thread now be changed or the thread split off, as it's been off topic practically since Post 33, and I think Nigel Evans has enough problems with the reasons for his arrest without it being confused with paedophilia?

In my view it is on topic simply because of that reason..dispelling the damaging link made by one man on a forum which has a very wide readership could be quite damaging. You can either censor the debate by removing it or you can let it continue simply on the basis it can be dispelled by a majoritive mindset. The man is a homosexual which isn't synonymous with sex abuse...some may differ by applying the mindset of 13thc normality. Theoretically I could apply the same reasoning of 12AD normality by suggesting that it could be possible in the future to send sandal wearers to the lions.

Debates such as these are excellent for dispelling skewered and odd rationale...even if the believer has a tenacious irrational bone between his teeth.

I haven't equated them; I'm not even discussing child abuse, I'm discussing sexual orientation and when it comes to paedophiles their sexual preference is prepubescent children.

Archived