Leading Tory Nigel Evans arrested for rape and sexual assault

How did the press find out about the allegation?

How would i know?

Did you read the link? Here is the first paragraph:

Deputy House of Commons Speaker Nigel Evans has been arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault, Press Association sources say.

Here is the police statement:

"A 55-year-old man from Pendleton in Lancashire has today, Saturday, 4th May 2013, been arrested by Lancashire Constabulary on suspicion of rape and sexual assault.

The man will be interviewed at a police station in Lancashire during the course of the day.

The offences are alleged to have been committed in Pendleton between July 2009 and March 2013.

We take all allegations of a sexual nature extremely seriously and understand how difficult it can be for victims to have the confidence to come forward.

As a constabulary, we are committed to investigating sexual offences sensitively but robustly recognising the impact that these types of crimes have on victims.

We would encourage anyone who has experienced sexual abuse, or who has information about it, to have the confidence to report it to us knowing that we will take it seriously, deal with it sensitively and investigate it thoroughly."

How would i know?

So you don't know whether the police realised his name or just arrested him an insensitive way. Nigel Evans was under arrest so I can’t imagine he was the one that blabbed.

So you don't know whether the police realised his name or just arrested him an insensitive way. Nigel Evans was under arrest so I can’t imagine he was the one that blabbed.

Why did you ignore the rest of the post?

Are you suggesting the press should not have reported it?

I don't think the press should have reported it. A growing number of people think that accused people should remain anonymous until charged; I personally think that that anonymity should remain until a conviction.

I don't think the police should publish the names of the accused; an accused person should be afforded the same protection and anonymity as the accuser.

The accused could be the victim of a malicious accusation.

The reason, apparently, is that the accused might have done it before and people may come forward with corroborating evidence.

I'm not defending that or saying it's right, just that it's the reason for naming the accused.

My view is similar to yours. While the investigation is under way the accused should not be named. Once they're charged I think they should be named though.

I don't think the press should have reported it. A growing number of people think that accused people should remain anonymous until charged; I personally think that that anonymity should remain until a conviction.

stuart hall just pleaded guilty to a load of abuse charges that only happened cos the initial allegations were publicized, so you're wrong - without the further information, the pattern of abuse wouldn't have been established and he'd be happily getting on with his life instead of worrying about dying in strangeways.

It wasn't relevant.

In what way isn't the press statement releasing Nigel Evans name, and the official police statement where they didn't identify him relevant as to whether the police published his name?

Archived