Which Sheffield seat would Nigel Farage stand the best chance in?

there are few places where Farage would be more ill-advised to look for a parlimentary seat, than Sheffield. He'd have a better chance in Stoke (but not Rotherham). Even traditional English constituencies, if they are Labour bankers, he will not be looking at to make gains.

Plenty of former Labour voters are voting UKIP, me included. Old-school Labour rather than Guardianista Labour.

If you went from supporting "old-school Labour" to supporting UKIP then your politics have either drifted to the right quite spectacularly or you simply don't have any clue as to what UKIP's policies are. Nobody at all with any knowledge could pretend that UKIP are anything other than to the right of the Tories.

If you went from supporting "old-school Labour" to supporting UKIP then your politics have either drifted to the right quite spectacularly or you simply don't have any clue as to what UKIP's policies are. Nobody at all with any knowledge could pretend that UKIP are anything other than to the right of the Tories.

At present, UKIP are mainly a protest party picking up on dissatisfaction from far and wide, including traditional Labour voters.

I don't think they'd do well anywhere in Sheffield, but their best chance would be in a predominantly white, poor area, where many of their votes would come from Labour voters. I don't know the parliamentary boundaries well enough to estimate which this might be. Despite their claims to be a mainstream party, to many potential voters they are a single (or at best a two) issue party. UKIP are ultimately right wing, but it doesn't mean that their voters are.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 07:48 ----------

Also, IMO, many labour voters are not particularly left wing.

Labour stronghold apart from Hallam. We're a lost cause destined to be lead by donkeys in perpetuity.

Unlike those poor saps down south who are still living in the past and voting for their feudal overlords.

Unlike those poor saps down south who are still living in the past and voting for their feudal overlords.

Aren't they rather richer folk who have jobs and prospects that you think are being oppressed?

Aren't they rather richer folk who have jobs and prospects that you think are being oppressed?

Hardly, given that poverty levels down south, while not being at the same level as further north, are still shocking. There are also still a lot of low paid jobs in the south so it always amazes me that the Tories do so well. The only reason I can think of is that the cap doffing classes down there still have the mind set that The Lord of The Manor knows best.

Archived