What's so wrong with being racist?

I'm having a greenweb moment by posting questions at night just before the cut off point. But, I'm bored, and this occurred to me whilst reading the UKIP thread.

So what is wrong with it? (here's my addition)... if someone doesn't outwardly or actively try and spread it?

I find expressively racist people quite unpleasant, but then again, I find most people to be quite unpleasant if they talk to me. I'm not really a people person :)

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 01:59 ----------

phew, just sneaked it in, but typed it quickly so might have to tweak it tomorrow, if it doesn't follow exactly what I was meaning :)

I'm having a greenweb moment by posting questions at night just before the cut off point. But, I'm bored, and this occurred to me whilst reading the UKIP thread.

So what is wrong with it? (here's my addition)... if someone doesn't outwardly or actively try and spread it?

I find expressively racist people quite unpleasant, but then again, I find most people to be quite unpleasant if they talk to me. I'm not really a people person :)

phew, just sneaked it in, but typed it quickly so might have to tweak it tomorrow, if it doesn't follow exactly what I was meaning :)

I find most people pleasant but I'm a people person.

Nothing I spose, (If someone doesn't outwardly or actively try and spread it it's highly unlikely you'll come across it), being an inward thing like.

You could always do a Bernard Manning.."I'm not racist, I just hate everyone" though. :hihi:

And its quite often down to mis-interpretation, either based on a repeated myth or some lie spread by newspapers or rags like the DM or Express.

I've seen some vile racism spread via Facebook of late, and its all based on ignorance. But at least it shows me which people I should unfriend.

There's nothing wrong with being racist just as long as your aren't white.

This is a good post *_ash_*, personally I've always wondered why people who express inherently racist views have a passionate aversion to being described as such.

I've encountered many weird and wonderful people in my lifetime and some of the most engaging discussions have been with people who hold racist views but have a brain and can formulate a coherent argument with their tongue in their cheek.

There's nothing wrong with being racist just as long as your aren't white.

There is certainly a lot of truth in that statement.

We seem to have now reached a point in British (well, certainly English. The Scots and Welsh are more pragmatic.) society where, if you are white and do not subscribe to the belief that multi-culturalism is a benefit to the community in general, then you are branded “racist”.

There is certainly a lot of truth in that statement.
No there isn't! I'm unfortunate enough to know some non-white racists and no ones ever described their views as being ok, far from it.

We seem to have now reached a point in British (well, certainly English. The Scots and Welsh are more pragmatic.) society where, if you are white and do not subscribe to the belief that multi-culturalism is a benefit to the community in general, then you are branded “racist”.

I think it's more likely the case that if you believe multi-culturism is an evil thing you're more likely to be branded a 'racist, most people I know are ambivalent about it and just get on with their lives and their neighbours irrespective of what colour or religion they are.

Archived