What's so wrong with being racist?

What's wrong with racist beliefs is that they entrap and dehumanise you, even if you keep them to yourself.

And if you act upon them, you harm others, whether physically or otherwise. You do not have the moral right to do that and in many situations it is illegal.

I trust that answers your question.

It's one of the ugliest forms of stupidity, that's the problem with it.

This is the kind of thing I don't like Chris, because it's unhelpful. It doesn't help the person explore how and why they are have racist thoughts and feelings. Instead, it just says "you're evil or bad, sorry, that's just how you are, can't do nothing about it"...

I'll admit to having some anxiety around coloured people, I don't know why that is, but I suspect, it's partly that as a society, we make such a big deal of race, that white people are always super cautious, lest anything they do or say be interpreted or mis-represented as racist. I also think that white people have an unconscious collective guilt, relating to our slave-owning past.

We have white people problems...

http://www.maniacworld.com/we-have-white-people-problems.html

There is a big difference between actual racism and percieved racism, so I can see why the question may be raised..... such as

- we are not allowed to celebrate Christmas because it discriminates against other religions

- we shouldn't celebrate Christmas in case it offends people from other religions.

Most of the people I have heard calling other people racist/sexist/homophobic and the like, have done it with what I would consider a 'percieved offence' rather than anything that would actually be considered an offence.

Archived