What's so wrong with being racist?

I know several people who i suppose are "closet"racists i.e they don't advertise it,they don't show any outward prejudice or discrimination to anyone.

But their opinions are based on personal direct experience on a daily basis,which reinforces the cultural aspects of race and class and quite extremely in some cases.

They are also quite anti welfare state and council estate dwellers for exactly the same reason - and these are well educated,professional and "rational" people.

If a persons daily life is restricted and focussed on representatives of a certain culture and class behaving in one particular way then unfortunately the opinions they hold won't be as wide and varied as someone like me who has a more diverse but reduced interaction with the same type of people.

Everyone is prejudice against someone.

Thats why Britons Got Talent & X Factor are so popular

So they can laugh or criticise people different or less fortunate than themselves

Fat, skinny, chav, ginger, black, chinese, muslim, jewish, man, women, gay, bi

pick one

I know several people who i suppose are "closet"racists i.e they don't advertise it,they don't show any outward prejudice or discrimination to anyone.

But their opinions are based on personal direct experience on a daily basis,which reinforces the cultural aspects of race and class and quite extremely in some cases.

They are also quite anti welfare state and council estate dwellers for exactly the same reason - and these are well educated,professional and "rational" people.

If a persons daily life is restricted and focussed on representatives of a certain culture and class behaving in one particular way then unfortunately the opinions they hold won't be as wide and varied as someone like me who has a more diverse but reduced interaction with the same type of people.

Or it could just be that they believe that immigrants, ethnic minorities, benefits claimants and (to use your term) "council estate dwellers" fail to contribute sufficient to justify them being so indulged in UK society.

Or it could just be that they believe that immigrants, ethnic minorities, benefits claimants and (to use your term) "council estate dwellers" fail to contribute sufficient to justify them being so indulged in UK society.

Could be, or it could be that they are just racist. Considering you're not the one who knows the "several people" in question and William does, says more about your wider lump them all in view...which is commonly attributed to the racist.

Which would, of course, be unjustifiable prejudice without first knowing and then comprehensively and objectively analysing exactly what every individual in the groups mentioned did contribute to UK society and then weighing against concessions received. That is assuming that satisfactory definitions of contribution and subsequent indulgence could be set in the first place as they are fairly nebulous terms.

It would then only take one case in which it could be established that a relevant individual contributed more than was received for the belief to be proven to be false.

Or, they could just learn to use the word some.

That may be true of some people but i have to admit no one that i know personally.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 13:53 ----------

Where did actually state (or even imply) that that was my view?

I was merely stating that what may be percieved as racism may be another, entirely different predjudice/view; not based upon race at all.

That was partly what i was trying to infer - its the culture of the races, regardless of colour that seem to be the focal point of their prejudice.

No ones ever said "it's 'cos they is black" to me

Being racist is wrong, but being a culturist (made up word), that's one thing I agree with. Our culture is superior to all others in the large part and we should be proud of that fact. Its what attracts so many people to want to live here in the first place.

That and benefits :hihi:

This is the kind of thing I don't like Chris, because it's unhelpful. It doesn't help the person explore how and why they are have racist thoughts and feelings. Instead, it just says "you're evil or bad, sorry, that's just how you are, can't do nothing about it"...

But will they ever change their views?

Archived