What's so wrong with being racist?

I think where there is introspection, it's practically impossible not to change.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 16:08 ----------

I'm never said tolerated (in a way that would suggest condoning racism).

So, rather than transform a racist; you'd prefer to deepen and entrench their current ways of thinking, and marginalise them even further from the rest of society?

I think it's a little like drug addiction - you can't force an addict to give up (and if you try, you'll almost certainly fail), they have to want to change.

There have been cases ( I seem to recall the tale of an ex BNP man who saw the light and changed his views) where racists have realised the error in their thinking. However they need to have the intellect to be able to do so and the willingness to look at their views honestly. In my experience, this rarely happens - it's a cliche but there are none as blind as those who refuse to see.

have the Christians being doing the slaughter in the name of their god,are the hot beds in the middle east where their is slaughter on a grand scale instigated by Christians...I know the history of the Christian church and how it was,but that's the key word,was,unlike Islam the Christian church on the whole has progressed Islam and its teaching are still stuck in the dark ages.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Not that long ago: Jesus Saves

So, rather than transform a racist; you'd prefer to deepen and entrench their current ways of thinking, and marginalise them even further from the rest of society?

I'll happily talk to racists without any preconceptions, in my early days here I once asked a well known xenophobe if I could accompany him to a BNP meeting and have a beer after, he declined the offer :hihi:

To be honest you do have a point, I don't think necessarily sabre rattling in the face of racists is likely to change their view but by the same token I don't believe their views should be tolerated either and I'd say the same to black racists as well as white ones.

Poor racists. Let's hug a racist. :)

National Hug a Racist Day. ;)

No sarcasm there then! ;)

I'm just saying; some things are helpful, and somethings aren't so much.

I'm not about favouring any one section of society over any other; or condemning anyone. Just what's practical and helpful, for all people. So there, I'm not condemning anyone, and if you don't like that, well, FU! :hihi:

(this post may contain irony)

( I seem to recall the tale of an ex BNP man who saw the light and changed his views)
I think I've bored you before H with this clip of Johnny Lee Clary, reformed KKK Grand Wizard, interesting viewing and suggest there's hope for (almost) anybody.

There's nothing wrong with being racist just as long as your aren't white.

This is a good example of what I was talking about earlier - none so blind as those who refuse to see. Their is simply masses of evidence to suggest that this is simply not true, yet the poster chooses to maintain otherwise.

Weird.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 16:25 ----------

I think I've bored you before H with this clip of Johnny Lee Clary, reformed KKK Grand Wizard, interesting viewing and suggest there's hope for (almost) anybody.

Excellent!

If a big thing is made of race it didn't come about by accident Waldo. The basis to the phenomena you describe is grounded in history and cultural attitudes.

You probably remember the "no blacks" signs in guest house windows, the exclusions based on race to certain clubs, the institutionalised racism that existed in certain public bodies, principally the police and prison service and the exclusion for interview of anyone with a dark face from jobs they were perfectly well qualified to do? I stopped going to football matches in the 80's because of the overt and caustic racism which infected the terraces. Against that backdrop it's easy to see why some non-whites are sensitive to racism and some whites are overly cautious in the language they use.

It's not the kind of thing I've experienced personally (maybe I am too young to remember).

I certainly feel, as a 'white' there is some residual collective guilt (perhaps I am being over sensitive). On the flip-side, I imagine some black people will feel resentment, anger, etc; at how things were? I don't know, and wouldn't like to presume too much.

Hopefully, things are improving over time; fear is dissipating, and people are becoming less hung up on race and mixing more freely.

To be honest, you've no reason to be cautious around 'coloured' people, assuming you have no desire to intentionally offend, it sounds like you don't know (m)any, so treat it as you would an encounter with anyone you didn't know, you watch your P's & Q's until you become familiar with them.

I'm practically never intentionally offensive, with anyone.

Hopefully, things are improving over time; fear is dissipating, and people are becoming less hung up on race and mixing more freely.
:thumbsup:

I'm practically never intentionally offensive, with anyone.

Well you've absolutely nothing to fear Waldo, provided you don't encounter one of the tosspots who infiltrates races of all persuasions.

But this isn't how people think. We group things. Not just opnions, but people as a whole.

Hmm i'll write more later, tablets are crap for writing posts.

I agree that it is not how people think, which is why the intention of the post was to suggest the application of some considered moderation to sweeping generalisations.

Archived