What's so wrong with being racist?

simple

its a throwback to our days as cavemen, scared of things that are different, that kept us alive

dont you think weve evolved since then, become civilised? theres no need for it these days, its just obnoxious and we all know how dangerous it can get when left unopposed

Which would, of course, be unjustifiable prejudice without first knowing and then comprehensively and objectively analysing exactly what every individual in the groups mentioned did contribute to UK society and then weighing against concessions received. That is assuming that satisfactory definitions of contribution and subsequent indulgence could be set in the first place as they are fairly nebulous terms.

It would then only take one case in which it could be established that a relevant individual contributed more than was received for the belief to be proven to be false.

Or, they could just learn to use the word some.

I agree that it is not how people think, which is why the intention of the post was to suggest the application of some considered moderation to sweeping generalisations.

Ah, at my computer now mike. Much easier to type! Tablets are good for games, but not much else.

To add to your post, about unjustifiable prejudice - ¿is not almost all of general life full of this kind of unjustifiable prejudice?

This forum is a great example. Just look at the top topics in the main sections. Most threads are started then added to with opinions that extrapolate from group based generalisations. If we look at the nitty-gritty, most are them are close to, or equal to being on a similar ignorance level, to racism (and providing that your premise that to avoid it by 'comprehensively and objectively analysing exactly what every individual in the groups' is correct to avoid such generalisations - then it [ignorance by grouping through lack of comprehensive knowledge, and the time factor it would take] must be everywhere ) - which I believe it is.

Perhaps it's a flaw in our genes with regards to modern society living. Our ancestors would not have needed to act in a comprehensive manner, and hence grouped and segregated anything that required too much time to concern themselves with. Modern day result on a daily manner : ignorance

Ah, at my computer now mike. Much easier to type! Tablets are good for games, but not much else.

To add to your post, about unjustifiable prejudice - ¿is not almost all of general life full of this kind of unjustifiable prejudice?

This forum is a great example. Just look at the top topics in the main sections. Most threads are started then added to with opinions that extrapolate from group based generalisations. If we look at the nitty-gritty, most are them are close to, or equal to being on a similar ignorance level, to racism (and providing that your premise that to avoid it by 'comprehensively and objectively analysing exactly what every individual in the groups' is correct to avoid such generalisations - then it [ignorance by grouping through lack of comprehensive knowledge, and the time factor it would take] must be everywhere ) - which I believe it is.

Perhaps it's a flaw in our genes with regards to modern society living. Our ancestors would not have needed to act in a comprehensive manner, and hence grouped and segregated anything that required too much time to concern themselves with. Modern day result on a daily manner : ignorance

Indeed, generalising is inevitable as it provides a useful shortcut to conclusion and, subsequently, action as we do not have the resources nor the time to process everything with precision. To my mind it is essential that any generalisation should be moderated by its potential to be wrong. Once absolutes are attached to generalisations the the ignorance you mention is unavoidable. Simply accepting that generalisations are indications rather than

certainties avoids the pitfalls you mention.

Generally speaking.

Indeed, generalising is inevitable as it provides a useful shortcut to conclusion and, subsequently, action as we do not have the resources nor the time to process everything with precision. To my mind it is essential that any generalisation should be moderated by its potential to be wrong. Once absolutes are attached to generalisations the the ignorance you mention is unavoidable. Simply accepting that generalisations are indications rather than

certainties avoids the pitfalls you mention.

Generally speaking.

And generally speaking, I would agree with this.

Since we inherently use the action of shortcuts for efficiency with group subjects or people, then does that not mean that just as with other generalisations which are rife in society - that racism (though not necessarily right, obviously) and shows ignorance, but is really in actual fact an almost unavoidable certainty, and is unlikely to ever realistically become a dormant trait amongst people in today's society? [today meaning this current society and the foreseeable future]

Archived