UK decline - people borrowing money to buy food.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Supermarkets have dictated the way we buy food, whether we like it or not.

I don't agree with the reasoning of the other poster. However, I disagree slightly with some of your argument...

Supermarkets are in it for the money, nothing else.

That's just an anti-supermarket type phrase.

Of course they're in it for the money. All businesses are - and part of that is giving people what they want. You can call that dictating if you want, but it isn't, I don't think. Though, the only way to truly test it would be if local shops were all cheaper. I still don't think people would pick them for main shopping. People look for convenience and time saving. They always have, that's why there are toasters, washing machines, microwaves etc. And supermarkets are just the modern washing machine version of the twintub. The markets are cheap for food, but everyone doesn't pile into those do they?

Now, quality isn't something people look for in food. Price is the main factor for most people. After the horse meat scandal, it's become quite apparent that some people don't even care what they are eating!!

Again, I think you're off the mark. Supermarkets have ranges. Cheap stuff. Branded stuff, and high-end market stuff.

Thanks to supermarkets, we now expect our food to be as cheap as possible and readily available.

People have always wanted/expected food to be as cheap as possible. The readily available aspect is just a change in times.

Of course they're in it for the money. All businesses are - and part of that is giving people what they want. You can call that dictating if you want, but it isn't, I don't think. Though, the only way to truly test it would be if local shops were all cheaper. I still don't think people would pick them for main shopping. People look for convenience and time saving. They always have, that's why there are toasters, washing machines, microwaves etc. And supermarkets are just the modern washing machine version of the twintub. The markets are cheap for food, but everyone doesn't pile into those do they?

Yes, supermarkets have a range of products, but they sell more cheap stuff than expensive stuff. As I said before, it's quite obvious that supermarkets don't even know what is in some of the food they sell.

We trust these multi billion turnover companies with our main food supply, then we find out that their beef is actually horse?!? If the products are not tested before they are sold, then that tells me that they don't care what's going into the food. They just look at the margins.

Again, I think you're off the mark. Supermarkets have ranges. Cheap stuff. Branded stuff, and high-end market stuff.

Which they advertise on their TV ads. Yet it's always the cheap chicken nuggets that are made from reclaimed 'meat' that are on offer.

People have always wanted/expected food to be as cheap as possible. The readily available aspect is just a change in times.

True, but you always used to get quality. You got your meat from a local butcher and your veg from a local green grocer. And there were no such things as BOGOF Turkey Twizzlers.

Archived