As the sky is relatively clear (Iridium)

Whats iridium?

Iridium are a group of satellites with an unusual arrangement of solar panels. At certain times the sun will reflect off those panels causing a bright flash in the sky.

Seems the sky is clearing now. :)

Iridium are a group of satellites with an unusual arrangement of solar panels. At certain times the sun will reflect off those panels causing a bright flash in the sky.

Seems the sky is clearing now. :)

Thanks.

Dont think I'll be able to see it from where I am though!

Quick question Megalithic- is the bright star to the west actually Jupiter? If so, what can you actually make out with a telescope? I'm thinking of buying one as a new hobby :)

I'm not sure to be honest CG.

As for what you can see, that depends on the quality of the scope. I always recommend a pair of binoculars over a scope for beginners as they are so much easier to use, and you can still see quite a lot through them, like the rings of Saturn, the "surface" of jupiter and it's bands etc, i even prefer them for nebular and cluster viewing.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 22:18 ----------

Btw, grab yourself Stellarium, it's excellent for showing planetary positions, and it's free.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 22:21 ----------

Just checked, Jupiter is low down to the West.

I'm not sure to be honest CG.

As for what you can see, that depends on the quality of the scope. I always recommend a pair of binoculars over a scope for beginners as they are so much easier to use, and you can still see quite a lot through them, like the rings of Saturn, the "surface" of jupiter and it's bands etc, i even prefer them for nebular and cluster viewing.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 22:18 ----------

Btw, grab yourself Stellarium, it's excellent for showing planetary positions, and it's free.

---------- Post added 05-05-2013 at 22:21 ----------

Just checked, Jupiter is low down to the West.

Brilliant, thanks for the good advice, I'll check out the stellarium now- what a great word :D

Archived