How much should wooden floors bounce?

Hi

This may sound a silly question but should a living room floor 'bounce' when you walk on it?...the floor in the property we are currently in has a really bouncy floor....it bounces that much that if someone is walking across it and you are sat on the sofa with a cuppa you risk spilling it...:hihi:....is this normal does anyone know?...we have been down into the cellar and when someone is walking on the living room floor the cellar ceiling is moving...there is also a gas pipe that has been fastened to one of the joists..( I think thats how its spelt..)....and this is also moving ...is that dangerous?....thanks....

All wooden floors will flex to a certain degree.Ours did to the point that sometimes the stylus would jump when playing records(remember that?!!!!!).A simple fix was to get another joist and run it at 90 degrees to the existing joists and underneath them in the cellar and then prop them up with more timbers from the cellar floor.This will remove much of the flex from the floor.It is important to ascertain,however,if there is a more sinister reason for the movement.Check that the joist ends are not rotten where they go into the wall (not uncommon) or woodworm in the joists or floorboards(less common)

A ceiling in a cellar is not a good idea,take this down if possible(and if the cellar is not being used as a "proper"room).This will allow air to circulate round the joists and help to reduce condensation which may help to rot the joists.It will also make it easier to regularly inspect the joists.

I will not make any comment about the gas pipe as tis needs inspecting by a qualified engineer to ascertain its safety.

All wooden floors will flex to a certain degree.Ours did to the point that sometimes the stylus would jump when playing records(remember that?!!!!!).A simple fix was to get another joist and run it at 90 degrees to the existing joists and underneath them in the cellar and then prop them up with more timbers from the cellar floor.This will remove much of the flex from the floor.It is important to ascertain,however,if there is a more sinister reason for the movement.Check that the joist ends are not rotten where they go into the wall (not uncommon) or woodworm in the joists or floorboards(less common)

A ceiling in a cellar is not a good idea,take this down if possible(and if the cellar is not being used as a "proper"room).This will allow air to circulate round the joists and help to reduce condensation which may help to rot the joists.It will also make it easier to regularly inspect the joists.

I will not make any comment about the gas pipe as tis needs inspecting by a qualified engineer to ascertain its safety.

tanks for your advice.....its private rented accomodation we are in....so any repairs would be the landlords job...i hope.....but its like flogging a dead horse I'm afraid......

tanks for your advice.....its private rented accomodation we are in....so any repairs would be the landlords job...i hope.....but its like flogging a dead horse I'm afraid......

If you think that the floor is not safe and you are getting nowhere with the landlord.... report it to the council.

Private Rented Standards

1st floor, Howden House

1 Union Street

Sheffield, S1 2SH

Archived