How is British history taught in schools?

I was at a social function in a pub over the weekend and was sat with a number of young people all aged about 25. They were intelligent, some with degrees, and very good company.

On a shelf there were a number of toby jugs all with a representation of a famous Brit. I was asked by one of the youngsters who they were and was very surprised to find that half of them did not recognize Henry the 8th, a third did not recognize Churchill and none of the knew Field Marshall Montgomery.

I have always believed that unless you know your history you are likely to repeat it.

Should we be concerned about this apparent gap in our childrens education?

They probably know who osama bin laden or kim kasadian is though.

I hated the tudors but russian revolution & world war 2 was very interesting.

The Americans do well what we are very bad at.

They teach them about American history, about the states of America, who the presidents are and every school has an American flag.

Imagine putting a British flag in schools here.

I was asked by one of the youngsters who they were and was very surprised to find that half of them did not recognize Henry the 8th, a third did not recognize Churchill and none of the knew Field Marshall Montgomery.

If I was to show images of John Stuart Mill, David Hume, Thomas Paine, Charles Bradlaugh, Annie Besant - and numerous other important or influential figures - I guess most people, regardless of age, wouldn't recognise them.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that gap - and neither would I be too concerned that someone didn't recognise Henry the 8th or any other important or influential figure.

I have always believed that unless you know your history you are likely to repeat it.

I generally think the opposite of the above: remembering history can be far more dangerous than not.

It doesn’t matter if the children are taught anything in any depth, or how to read and research for themselves, or anything that will stand them in good stead later in life.

So long as they gets high SATS scores, the teachers get their automatic pay rises, 50% of youngsters get into devalued universities and the politicians can hail it all as a success, it’ll be fine!

If I was to show images of John Stuart Mill, David Hume, Thomas Paine, Charles Bradlaugh, Annie Besant - and numerous other important or influential figures - I guess most people, regardless of age, wouldn't recognise them.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that gap - and neither would I be too concerned that someone didn't recognise Henry the 8th or any other important or influential figure.

I generally think the opposite of the above: remembering history can be far more dangerous than not.

How can we predict or plan for the future if we know nothing of history?

I was at a social function in a pub over the weekend and was sat with a number of young people all aged about 25. They were intelligent, some with degrees, and very good company.

On a shelf there were a number of toby jugs all with a representation of a famous Brit. I was asked by one of the youngsters who they were and was very surprised to find that half of them did not recognize Henry the 8th, a third did not recognize Churchill and none of the knew Field Marshall Montgomery.

I remember in history lessons when learning about the holocaust, the teacher would always say we must learn it so it never happens again. Looking back, it's a meaningless expression, since genocide has happened many many times since WW2 and continues to happen, often as we just watch on.

It doesn’t matter if the children are taught anything in any depth, or how to read and research for themselves, or anything that will stand them in good stead later in life.

So long as they gets high SATS scores, the teachers get their automatic pay rises, 50% of youngsters get into devalued universities and the politicians can hail it all as a success, it’ll be fine!

The National Curriculum tells teachers what to teach, they don't choose themselves. History isn't tested in SATs by the way.

How can we predict or plan for the future if we know nothing of history?

I wasn't suggesting that we should know nothing about history, but I was suggesting that the parroted phrase "unless you know your history you are likely to repeat it" is pretty much BS.

Some history isn't worth remembering because it can inspire people to repeat it.

Maybe they were just completely crap Toby jugs

Like these. I'm still chuckling at some of these Toby jugs. The Churchill mini Rufus :)

http://www.winstonchurchillshop.com/china/toby-jugs.php

I'm looking forward to researching the Henry VIII ones.

Archived