How is British history taught in schools?

Had Tony Blair been interested in history - he claimed he wasn't - & had he been aware of the outcome of previous British Military adventures in Afghanistan, would he have still taken us into that conflict?

Had Tony Blair been interested in history - he claimed he wasn't - & had he been aware of the outcome of previous British Military adventures in Afghanistan, would he have still taken us into that conflict?

Blair has been honoured with his own Toby jug.

http://www.winstonchurchillshop.com/tony-blair-toby-jug.php

Looks like a vampire. Do they know summit we don't :suspect:

I was at a social function in a pub over the weekend and was sat with a number of young people all aged about 25. They were intelligent, some with degrees, and very good company.

On a shelf there were a number of toby jugs all with a representation of a famous Brit. I was asked by one of the youngsters who they were and was very surprised to find that half of them did not recognize Henry the 8th, a third did not recognize Churchill and none of the knew Field Marshall Montgomery.

I have always believed that unless you know your history you are likely to repeat it.

Should we be concerned about this apparent gap in our childrens education?

History is a subject that should never be forgotten in schools, people should know about things that have gone on in years gone by. As Clown Shoes says (I copied this bit).

The Americans do well what we are very bad at.

They teach them about American history, about the states of America, who the presidents are and every school has an American flag.

Imagine putting a British flag in schools here.

History is a subject that should never be forgotten in schools, people should know about things that have gone on in years gone by. As Clown Shoes says (I copied this bit).

The Americans do well what we are very bad at.

They teach them about American history, about the states of America, who the presidents are and every school has an American flag.

Imagine putting a British flag in schools here.

There is no British flag

even back in the early 80s all we ever seemed to do about was the second world war at school, bit about the first too

not much about other stuff

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 19:03 ----------

There is no British flag

does the union flag count as british?

even back in the early 80s all we ever seemed to do about was the second world war at school, bit about the first too

not much about other stuff

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 19:03 ----------

does the union flag count as british?

Indeed, it does. I was being a bit pedantic. It's a British flag' just like the Scottish flag is a British flag. More accurately it's the flag of the United Kingdom.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 19:18 ----------

As I said I copied what Clown Shoes wrote, okay then there'd be uproar with the Union Flag going up.

That's better. It's important to understand history. The union flag itself has an interesting history. There are books devoted to it.

Indeed, it does. I was being a bit pedantic. It's a British flag' just like the Scottish flag is a British flag. More accurately it's the flag of the United Kingdom.

thats what i was thinking, its a flag of the UNITED kingdom and obviously the st georges cross is ENGLISH

but my understanding the union flag is also the flag of the BRITISH isles? so by default its british :P

thats what i was thinking, its a flag of the UNITED kingdom and obviously the st georges cross is ENGLISH

but my understanding the union flag is also the flag of the BRITISH isles? so by default its british :P

It's not the flag of the Republic of Ireland, which is in the British Isles. Not after the 26 counties left the Union anyway.

I think it very likely that he was aware of that, so yes.

Archived