Never thought Tarbuck was funny.

I wonder if no formal complaints were made or accepted and the information was classed as intelligence rather than evidence.

If this is the case I find it worrying that enquiries were not made with others who now say they witnessed or had heard of his behaviour and could have corroborated the complainants allegations.

Or was it simply a case of others not wanting to get involved.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/11/jimmy-savile-reports-live-blog

I think the earliest known official complaint was made 50 years ago.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/12/jimmy-savile-metropolitan-police

It seems to me that you both need to take a step back and consider why the Saville case is different to any other.

Mr. Saville is dead and so there is no way the complainants allegations can be brought to court thereby the complainants will not be cross examined in a court of law.

As there is no forensic evidence it is unlikely that a definite decision of his guilt will be able to be decided.

There is a very high probability due to witnesses that he committed some offences.

The police will be in possession of much more information on all aspects of the case which will probably never become public.

The compo seekers argument is pretty much a constant whenever allegations are made against anybody high profile. It is not limited to the Savile case and has been levelled on this very forum at complainants in cases where the alleged perpetrator is very much alive. I am interested in the factual foundation for that suspicion as there currently does not appear to be one.

It may be worth pointing out that when I originally asked questions about the relationship between sexual assault and compensation it was in relation to Glamrocker's suggestions that those who made complaints against Stuart Hall did it for the money.

But of course they dont do it for the money do they:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22435505

I wonder if no formal complaints were made or accepted and the information was classed as intelligence rather than evidence.

If this is the case I find it worrying that enquiries were not made with others who now say they witnessed or had heard of his behaviour and could have corroborated the complainants allegations.

Or was it simply a case of others not wanting to get involved.

I'm not sure how practical it would be to make enquiries with others at the time. It's only after they've come forward that they are known to be potential witnesses.

I'm not sure how practical it would be to make enquiries with others at the time. It's only after they've come forward that they are known to be potential witnesses.

I worded my quote badly, I meant if formal complaints had been made further enquiries should have been conducted.

I worded my quote badly, I meant if formal complaints had been made further enquiries should have been conducted.

They should have indeed and they weren't despite the fact that many knew of Savile's offending. The same thing happened with Cyril Smith.

I still think in many cases it would be difficult to start any meaningful enquires without putting the accused's name into the public domain. Sexual assault is usually in private, so witnesses are unlikely to be available. The most likely corroboration would be other victims. The only way to bring them to the surface is releasing the accused's name.

The other way is to have a database of complaints/accusations, and a good enough system to cross link them.

I still think in many cases it would be difficult to start any meaningful enquires without putting the accused's name into the public domain. Sexual assault is usually in private, so witnesses are unlikely to be available. The most likely corroboration would be other victims. The only way to bring them to the surface is releasing the accused's name.

The other way is to have a database of complaints/accusations, and a good enough system to cross link them.

I think that there are proposals for such a national database.

I agree with your first paragraph which is why at the point of arrest, a suspect should not be given anonymity.

It appears that others were suspicious of his behaviour for a long time.

Sadly it appears that all these people thought they would not get involved.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 13:28 ----------

I think that there are proposals for such a national database.

I agree with your first paragraph which is why at the point of arrest, a suspect should not be given anonymity.

If other forces are the same as SYP many of these offences occurred before dedicated Child and Sexual Offences Units were established.

I think the SYP unit was created in the 1980s

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 13:28 ----------

If other forces are the same as SYP many of these offences occurred before dedicated Child and Sexual Offences Units were established.

I think the SYP unit was created in the 1980s

By all accounts, Savile was a frightening and intimidating character who made threats to keep people quiet. However, the reasons for the police not acting are still unknown.

Which reinforces the mindset of the time...let's bury it, or deny its existence...a response many victims took simply because of the culture of the time. Those in the know were also indirect victims of that culture also...they had no where to go.

Archived