Never thought Tarbuck was funny.

No, but it's happened less times than someone being raped and not reporting it I'll wager.

Indeed so.

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/mythsampfacts2.php

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 18:07 ----------

No, I'm saying that I'm confident that the great majority of women who contact rape crisis services have been raped.

I am not aware of any false claims made when turning to Rape Crisis for emotional support and counselling. What would anyone gain from it?

Wow, just 8%.

Not such a big deal as some people like to make out then.

Does it have to be a certain percentage for it to mean anything?

Or is it just collateral damage?

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 18:16 ----------

Indeed so.

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/mythsampfacts2.php

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 18:07 ----------

I am not aware of any false claims made when turning to Rape Crisis for emotional support and counselling. What would anyone gain from it?

Are you saying it never happens?

Of course false accusations can be very damaging. Do you have any constructive ideas about what could be done to minimise the problem?

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 18:16 ----------

Are you saying it never happens?

I am saying that I have never heard of anyone falsely using the services that Rape Crisis offer, ever. Have you evidence to the contrary?

I don't know. But how would you explain this?

British Home Office study (2005)

A 2005 study, "A gap or a chasm? Attrition in reported rape cases" was the largest and most rigorous study to date commissioned by the British Home Office on UK rape crime, from the initial reporting of a rape through to legal prosecutions. The study was based on 2,643 sexual assault cases (Kelly, Lovett, and Regan, 2005). Of these, police departments classified 8% as false reports.[9]

Mmm, let's plug those numbers into my fag packet calculator then ...

Around 473,000 women and men are sexually assaulted each year, with one in 20 women reported as being a victim of a serious sexual offence. That's 800,000 women who have been victims of sexual assault.

We know that of the 100,000 rapes reported annually, only 1,000 rapes lead to a prosecution.

So we can conclude from the British Home Office study that of the 100,000 rapes reported, 800 (8%) are false, of which about two a month lead to prosecution for perverting the course of justice. These are usually reported in glorious detail in the media.

So proving somebody is lying about rape is about as difficult as proving rape, which makes sense.

But, and here's the big but, ...

Of the 99,200 genuine rapes we have 98,200 rapists getting away with it. Of the 800 people lying about being raped, we have 770 getting away with it.

So that's the problem we have. Every year we have 98,200 rapists causing untold trauma and getting away it, and 770 liars causing untold trauma and getting away with it.

And yet in our efforts to reduce overall harm, some people continuously seem to think the problem lies with the 770, with the tedious reference to "compo seekers". Seems rather odd to me. :huh:

I am saying that I have never heard of anyone falsely using the services that Rape Crisis offer, ever. Have you evidence to the contrary?

I have no evidence to show what you have or have not heard.

I see someone making a valid point and I see others shout him down without any evidence at all.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 18:24 ----------

Of course false accusations can be very damaging. Do you have any constructive ideas about what could be done to minimise the problem?

Yeah, if someone makes a false accusation, try them and jail them for the same amount of time a rapist would get.

Of the 99,200 genuine rapes we have 98,200 rapists getting away with it. Of the 800 people lying about being raped, we have 770 getting away with it.

So that's the problem we have. Every year we have 98,200 rapists causing untold trauma and getting away it, and 770 liars causing untold trauma and getting away with it.

And yet in our efforts to reduce overall harm, some people continuously seem to think the problem lies with the 770, with the tedious reference to "compo seekers". Seems rather odd to me. :huh:

Nicely summarised. I look forward to hearing Jim Stark's response.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 18:26 ----------

Yeah, if someone makes a false accusation, try them and jail them for the same amount of time a rapist would get.

Really Jim? Do think telling lies about someone is equally wicked as raping someone?

Mmm, let's plug those numbers into my fag packet calculator then ...

Around 473,000 women and men are sexually assaulted each year, with one in 20 women reported as being a victim of a serious sexual offence. That's 800,000 women who have been victims of sexual assault.

We know that of the 100,000 rapes reported annually, only 1,000 rapes lead to a prosecution.

So we can conclude from the British Home Office study that of the 100,000 rapes reported, 800 (8%) are false, of which about two a month lead to prosecution for perverting the course of justice. These are usually reported in glorious detail in the media.

So proving somebody is lying about rape is about as difficult as proving rape, which makes sense.

But, and here's the big but, ...

How do you work out that the rapists are getting away with it?

Archived