Never thought Tarbuck was funny.

Can't assume that all the accused are guilty, that's why we have courts to try to decide, unfortunately some people do make false accusations.

When there are multiple independent victims with similar stores then it seems very likely they aren't all making it up.

Could it be, at all possible for these/a group of people to have put their heads together to produce a scam?

Could it be, at all possible for these/a group of people to have put their heads together to produce a scam?

It’s not unthinkable; it doesn't even have to be people that got together, name someone in the press for child abuse 40 years ago and no end of people might come forward for a piece of the action, if half a dozen of those stories tally it seems the accused must be guilty and the accusers get compensation. The number of people that claim to have been abused is tiny in comparison to the amount of people these stars must have seen.

I was listening to something on Radio 5 where they appeared to say that there are no hard and fast rules regarding the naming of people who have been arrested. It seems to be entirely up to the police on a case by case basis. They can either name the person, or say something along the lines of “a 55 year old man from ...”, or not say anything at all (ie not even say that there has been an arrest).

This seems reasonable to me as it gives the police the opportunity to consider each arrest on a case by case basis. If the accusation they’ve received looks like it could be part of a series of similar assaults, then they could name the person. If it looks more like a one off event, they may choose to investigate behind the scenes, and not even say that anyone has been arrested.

I find it harder to see the benefit of saying “a 55 year old, etc” .It doesn’t provide any real information. Also, of course, while ever a person has not been named, the internet will be full of speculation, possibly about the person arrested, but also possibly about someone else who has nothing to do with the case. Also, while everything is hidden, there may be the opportunity for someone on the inside to try to sell the information to the media

The Topic title is Never thought Tarbuck was funny, any chance of some replies to the actual Topic instead of all the yadda yadda from all the wanna be leagle eagles, anyhow he was never funny he got through the net due to the 60s Liverpool hysteria surrounding the beatles in other words owt from Liverpool at that time will do, here's a good example Cilla Black. :gag:

Non of them were whiter than white. In the 1970s if you went to any show or gig the groupies (usually 13-15 year olds) would hang around the stage door wanting a piece of the celebrity. 40 years down the line there are a lot of 55 year old's claiming assault.

Are you implying that the 13-15 year olds need to take some responsibility if an adult has abused them? I always thought the law was clear about this, so adults knew where they stood.

I think that there's more to the criminal justice system than a simple game of numbers.

The Birmingham Six were charged with 21 counts of murder.

Whoops, turns out they were all innocent.

I'm sure you'd have had them dangling on the end of a rope purely based on the length of the charge sheet.

"He's guilty, look at him. Eyes too close together. And look at that one, his hair's too long".

:rolleyes:

That's a good point. Just because one celebrity is found guilty (which has only been Stuart Hall so far isn't it?) doesn't mean they all are.

Remember Craig Charles? He lost everything when that woman accused him of rape, and it took years to rebuild his career. He was unlucky enough to be remanded in custody for eight months.

This is an interesting news story from ten years ago. Nothing has changed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3055859.stm

The Topic title is Never thought Tarbuck was funny, any chance of some replies to the actual Topic instead of all the yadda yadda from all the wanna be leagle eagles, anyhow he was never funny he got through the net due to the 60s Liverpool hysteria surrounding the beatles in other words owt from Liverpool at that time will do, here's a good example Cilla Black. :gag:

fun•ny

adj. fun•ni•er, fun•ni•est

a. Causing laughter or amusement.

b. Intended or designed to amuse.

2. Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.

3. Tricky or deceitful.

Using the online free dictionary, as above, and based on definitions 2 & 3, then I would suggest that most posters are staying on topic.

Archived