Water meter problems?

Has any one had problems with a water meter?

MIL has received a bill several times higher than her normal annual average. She contacted YW who said that apparently on one specific day - she had managed to use around 41cubic meters of water - which is around 137 full baths worth or 3 or 4 years worth based on her normal used for over a decade....

She has had no leaks or bursts, not left a tap running nor is it possible to 'steal' the water beyond the water meter by tapping it off etc.

YW said they have checked the meter and it was working fine (obviously!) and she owes them the money.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Any one experience of this kind of thing or of complaining to Ofwat etc.?

Hi L had a similar problem with sky talk they said i had been talking to a mobile for an hour and a haif. a load of rubish i am an o.a.p. /They checked there line and said nothing wrong with line and insisted i pay £33 for one call. I contacted ombudsman man body and they gave me an e/mail address for main sky office in scotland. and i made a complaint to main customer care and said ombusdsman body was now involved . Got a reply and they credited me with the £33. So dont pay and contact customer care and ombudsman .

I had a similar problem. The water meter reader came out and supposedly read the meter. The meter is at knee height and he didnt bend down to have a look at the numbers. He misread the number eight when it should have been a six. YW came out again to confirm that my reading was the correct one. It was.

Hi,

how do they know how much water you used in one day ,they are not smart water meters.Also do you have a internal overflow in your toilet cistern,as some peoples overflow back into basin and you never know.Also what kind of property do you live in is it flats.

Thanks for replies All.

re last post.

Apparently it is some kind of smart meter according to MIL as they don't need to actually physically inspect the meter to get a reading anymore.

Will double check this + the internal overflow idea but she would have noticed such a problem - especially 137 baths worth water!

She's in a detached bungalow.

Thanks again

To use that amount of water in 1 day I think she would have needed a couple of fire hoses on full blast not a leaking cistern.

I too have had a faulty meter but again failing to register the water passing through it rather than the other way round, mine didn't move for about a year.

The smart meters they use don't have to be physically read, the meter readers just drive past your property and a special computer in the vehicle reads the signal from your meter

That may well be the case.

However I would be interested to know for sure if this new technology is able to detect the water used at any set time span between the automated readings.

I doubt it.

One of our neighbours ran up a £400 water bill in one month after having a meter fitted, 4 months later and several substantial "digging up" sessions Severn Trent found a leak under her driveway.

I would imagine a leak may show constant increased usage not just one day.

Archived