Water meter problems?

The smart meters they use don't have to be physically read, the meter readers just drive past your property and a special computer in the vehicle reads the signal from your meter

That may well be the case.

However I would be interested to know for sure if this new technology is able to detect the water used at any set time span between the automated readings.

I doubt it.

No I don't think it can tell how much water has been used on any certain day, just the amount used between the two readings

MIL has received a bill several times higher than her normal annual average. She contacted YW who said that apparently on one specific day - she had managed to use around 41cubic meters of water

My bold-^ Incorrect information that you are giving us there medblue (with respect, I understand it is info that has been given to you). The only way to extablish the amount of water that was used in one day is to take a reading on two consecutive days. Perhaps Chinese wispers.

My opinion is there is either a leak or fault on the meter if it is one of them smart meters. Need to get Yorkshire water to investigate for leaks & faulty meter. In writing-refuse to pay until ivestigated. If YW cannot resolve issue involve ombudsman.

Ofwat

Centre City Tower

7 Hill Street

Birmingham B5 4UA

But the OP said that Y/Water have checked the meter. If there is a leak, they have not ensured the customer has turned everything off before checking it have they. I think there is a bit more to this story. I don`t think we are hearing all the details. That bit about using all that water in one day is a bit of a clue.

Most smart meters take a reading every half hour and that data is transmitted to the hand held reader. Makes forecasting demand much easier when you know when everyones doing whatever, so it's perfectly feasible for them to be able to say over what day this "leak" or whatever occured.

It's also an ideal device for a high tech burglar to case a house and figure out when you are in and nt in as well, and the security on these devices is not the best it could be either...

Most smart meters take a reading every half hour and that data is transmitted to the hand held reader. Makes forecasting demand much easier when you know when everyones doing whatever, so it's perfectly feasible for them to be able to say over what day this "leak" or whatever occured.

It's also an ideal device for a high tech burglar to case a house and figure out when you are in and nt in as well, and the security on these devices is not the best it could be either...

I am not aware of that. So all that data taken every 30 minutes is stored within the meter (for at least 3 months) and then uploaded to the device that the meter reader personnel has when they are outside the property. I have learnt something there. I wonder what purpose the readings every 30 minutes is for :huh:

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 16:19 ----------

Hi,

how do they know how much water you used in one day ,they are not smart water meters.Also do you have a internal overflow in your toilet cistern,as some peoples overflow back into basin and you never know.Also what kind of property do you live in is it flats.

Meterman-how do you know that the meter in question is not a smart meter , like the one that Obelix has just described?

I am not aware of that. So all that data taken every 30 minutes is stored within the meter (for at least 3 months) and then uploaded to the device that the meter reader personnel has when they are outside the property. I have learnt something there. I wonder what purpose the readings every 30 minutes is for :huh:

---------- Post added 08-05-2013 at 16:19 ----------

Meterman-how do you know that the meter in question is not a smart meter , like the one that Obelix has just described?

usually half hourley readings are taken on large users eg factorys on elec gas water, not on residential propertys, as it gains customer nothing.Reading from outside has been done for a while now,with a black disc on wall or remotely.When i said a internal cistern overflow,i meant one one the toilet so it runs down the toilet bowl.Also wheres the meter sited inside or outside.also if its a smart meter should it not have told them that they had aleak ,as amr meters are supposed to transmit that data,and one last question,do you have a outside tap that any workmen could have connected to without you knowing.

Thanks All for your contributions & thoughts

Will revert to the MIL for clarification especially re the 'used in one day' statement from YW.

Would be an idea for us to seek evidence from YW to back this up if true.

Thanks also for advice re refusing to pay disputed amount & taking it further/escalating the matter - will advice MIL accordingly

Rgds!

Archived